E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CD changer keeps reloading

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

Every time I return to the car after a few minutes away the CD changer seems to be re-loading the CD's.
Even when I was playing a CD when I left the car.
Its really annoying as it takes at least a minute to do its thing and even when finished it still remains on the radio.

I can't believe this is correct?

Jason
Old 03-06-2009, 02:23 AM
Contributors

no its not right just eject the cartridge from the unit and take out all the cd's give it all a clean and try reloading? might help,also try a cd cleaning disc with fluid, it might help. failing that it will be a fault with the multichanger, but you can buy them now on ebay for under ?100

good luck.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Members

Thanks
Will try giving it a clean.

Jason
Old 03-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jasonprice07' post='808996' date='Mar 6 2009, 08:52 AM
Hi all

Every time I return to the car after a few minutes away the CD changer seems to be re-loading the CD's.
Its really annoying as it takes at least a minute to do its thing and even when finished it still remains on the radio.

Jason

Mine did this when the car battery started to fail, the car shuts down none essential tasks to keep enough power in reserve for starting.

I'm not saying that this is definitely the problem with yours but mine stopped playing up as soon as I fitted a new battery.

Do you ever get a low battery warning?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i (Silver-Gray, Gray Lthr., Anthracite Maple) with Steptronic, Prem. Pkg., Logic 7, Xenons & Chrome factory wheels.

Originally Posted by -Russ-' post='809606' date='Mar 6 2009, 02:05 PM
Mine did this when the car battery started to fail, the car shuts down none essential tasks to keep enough power in reserve for starting.

I'm not saying that this is definitely the problem with yours but mine stopped playing up as soon as I fitted a new battery.

When the battery is on its last legs, the power management system becomes protective, creating all sorts of problems..... CD changer cycling when car is unlocked and blower motor that won't go above half-speed. The only solution is to replace the battery which, surprisingly enough, is NOT covered under warranty. Nor is the charge for diagnostics, battery replacement or the system reprogramming. Just went through this on my 2005 530i. BMW NA was NO help whatsoever! BMW = Break My Wallet!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530dAT

Originally Posted by turnbowm' post='809746' date='Mar 7 2009, 02:50 AM
When the battery is on its last legs, the power management system becomes protective, creating all sorts of problems..... CD changer cycling when car is unlocked and blower motor that won't go above half-speed. The only solution is to replace the battery which, surprisingly enough, is NOT covered under warranty. Nor is the charge for diagnostics, battery replacement or the system reprogramming. Just went through this on my 2005 530i. BMW NA was NO help whatsoever! BMW = Break My Wallet!!!
Hi

Seems like BMW in Norway are more consumer friendly. I have 2006 530 dAT and due to problems with the electronics the battery has been changed twice at no cost. The second battery they put in was even an expensive AGM battery. I also got a loaner free of charge.

So you should consider moving to Norway!
Old 03-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by -Russ-' post='809606' date='Mar 6 2009, 05:05 PM

I haven't as yet seen the low battery warning, but the engine does crank slowly which may well be battery related.
I'll get it tested, luckily I have the facility at work.

Jason
Old 03-07-2009, 01:11 AM
bal
Members

My Ride: 2004 530d

Originally Posted by jasonprice07' post='809931' date='Mar 7 2009, 08:25 AM
I haven't as yet seen the low battery warning, but the engine does crank slowly which may well be battery related.
I'll get it tested, luckily I have the facility at work.

Jason
Mine did this once, and the battery died as a result. I managed to jump start the car and it has been ok since. (touch wood) i did change the cd's though afterwards.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jasonprice07' post='808996' date='Mar 6 2009, 03:52 AM
Hi all

Jason
Try checking if the fan will only blow on about half power when this cd problem is apparent. Its one of the symptoms of the car trying to conserve power because the battery is low (or the car thinks its low) and my car (2004 E61 530d auto, pre start-button version) kept doing both. First return to the dealer got me a 'you don't drive it enough' brush off, as I'm a short journey, low mileage driver. Second visit got a -ve battery and IBS leads replaced. Third visit has just got me a new battery after it being in the workshop for 4 days for analysis. I always thought it was the battery (or the IBS) cos the only cure for me was charging the battery, but the problem soon returned. We'll see how it goes from now, cos my BMW Approved Used Car Warranty has expired and I'm now on the BMW extended warranty with a ?250 excess (battery not covered on this, which is why I wanted it getting out of the way before the AUC one expired).
Old 05-13-2009, 06:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jobseeker' post='836167' date='Apr 4 2009, 12:20 PM
Try checking if the fan will only blow on about half power when this cd problem is apparent. Its one of the symptoms of the car trying to conserve power because the battery is low (or the car thinks its low) and my car (2004 E61 530d auto, pre start-button version) kept doing both. First return to the dealer got me a 'you don't drive it enough' brush off, as I'm a short journey, low mileage driver. Second visit got a -ve battery and IBS leads replaced. Third visit has just got me a new battery after it being in the workshop for 4 days for analysis. I always thought it was the battery (or the IBS) cos the only cure for me was charging the battery, but the problem soon returned. We'll see how it goes from now, cos my BMW Approved Used Car Warranty has expired and I'm now on the BMW extended warranty with a ?250 excess (battery not covered on this, which is why I wanted it getting out of the way before the AUC one expired).
This thread just solved my dilemma on 2 different fronts. First my CD changer has been cycling on and off since I bought the car nearly a year ago. It also doesn't do a good job remembering where my CD position was when I leave the car, sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. The other new item which occurred this past week is the AC blower motor will no longer blow on the high setting and it only puts out mediocre performance. I know see these are related and a good sign that I'm on my way for a new battery At least I wont get the low battery warning indicator now when I sit in the car for 90 seconds with the radio on low.

Steve

Quick Reply: CD changer keeps reloading