E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CBC always ON and prevents oversteer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Q: Can you get the rear end to come loose in aggressive driving?
(I can not, unless I'm on the track and really trying)

I've been disappointed with my car's insistence to clamp down on my fun: specifically, the electronics interceding any time that I try to create some rear-end slip angles. Have others noticed this? Even when I switch DSC completely OFF, I notice that the CBC is always active and it clamps down the brake to limit the rear end coming around (which is my intent)!

I have been on the track and can get the car to rotate thru some slower turns, as desired, but on the street I can feel the CBC intercede and, at slower street speeds, it pretty much stops any oversteer.

OK, I know that I have the 2-door E60 model, but I imagine that this must be shared behaviour and wanted to tap into the rich knowedge on this, the best, 5 board.

Here's how I understand our options, and perceive the dynamics:

DSC ON = Nanny ON

DTC = limited slipping or rear tires allowed (intended for negotiating loose surfaces such as snow, gravel)

DSC OFF = DSC will not intervene, but (a) CBC is still active (and will brake the rear outside wheel to counter oversteer) and - I think - (b) Active Steer is stilll active and will countersteer to prevent oversteer.

Robert

P.S. The E90 apparently benefits from a more forgiving and enthusiast-tuned version of DSC, from all of the reviews that I've read. DTS allows some fun, tail-out driving and slip angles, and only intercedes when the safety net is called for.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by rduncan' date='Jun 21 2005, 09:57 PM
Q: Can you get the rear end to come loose in aggressive driving?
? (I can not, unless I'm on the track and really trying)

I've been disappointed with my car's insistence to clamp down on my fun: specifically, the electronics interceding any time that I try to create some rear-end slip angles. Have others noticed this? Even when I switch DSC completely OFF, I notice that the CBC is always active and it clamps down the brake to limit the rear end coming around (which is my intent)!?

I have been on the track and can get the car to rotate thru some slower turns, as desired, but on the street I can feel the CBC intercede and, at slower street speeds, it pretty much stops any oversteer.

OK, I know that I have the 2-door E60 model, but I imagine that this must be shared behaviour and wanted to tap into the rich knowedge on this, the best, 5 board.?

Here's how I understand our options, and perceive the dynamics:

DSC ON = Nanny ON

DTC? ? ? = limited slipping or rear tires allowed (intended for negotiating loose surfaces such as snow, gravel)

DSC OFF = DSC will not intervene, but (a) CBC is still active (and will brake the rear outside wheel to counter oversteer) and - I think - (b) Active Steer is stilll active and will countersteer to prevent oversteer.

? Robert

P.S. The E90 apparently benefits from a more forgiving and enthusiast-tuned version of DSC, from all of the reviews that I've read. DTS allows some fun, tail-out driving and slip angles, and only intercedes when the safety net is called for.?
[snapback]141811[/snapback]

What is the procedure that you are using to turn off DSC/DTC?
Old 06-22-2005, 04:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Jun 22 2005, 07:37 AM
What is the procedure that you are using to turn off DSC/DTC?
[snapback]141827[/snapback]
DTC off = one press
DSC off = 2 second press

Nice pictures appear all over the dash warning you of impending danger!
Old 06-22-2005, 06:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

It is my understanding that CBS (cornering brake control) only comes into play if you apply the brakes. Though you do need to drive it hard, I have been able to break the rear end loose "throttle steering" without use of the brakes in the turns.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by robg' date='Jun 22 2005, 08:37 AM
It is my understanding that CBS (cornering brake control)? only comes into play if you apply the brakes.?
[snapback]141919[/snapback]
That makes sense (CBC would be active only when brakes applied, which they are not in these cases). And since DSC is off, it can't (shouldn't) be interfering with outside wheel braking. Hmmmm ...

I wonder what I'm feeling when I start to slide the rear end and it feels like it clamps itself back to the pavement? Usually, when you break the read end free, it goes. With my 6, it grabs back onto the pavement quite quickly. Can the car be so good that I'm just feeling the intended, stable response? I mean, it feels like it's Velcro, reattaching itself to the street! I've driven BMWs for many years, but this is a surprise.

Robert
Old 06-23-2005, 01:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

In my opinion, with the DSC off...the car allows you to have a reasonable amount of fun, although CBC will still be there to control you in case you r skidding manouveur goes too far. I have skid pretty drastically and had alot of fun with my car and I have absolutely no problem. The fun lies in the gearbox. I have the manual and hence it is easier to make the car skid. With the DSC off, I feel like I can skid alot more and have more fun. It's good to know that even with DSC off, there is still a mechanism that would keep the car *safe*.