E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Casualty of Sandy

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 02:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sandy up-ended so many lives ... glad to hear you could count yourself as more fortunate than many many others. Hunting for just the right car can be a daunting task. The Internet has made it easier - in the past I used a 'broker' to hunt down what I was looking for - the "finders fee" was well worth it because they hit all the big auctions regularly and can be a big savings because the fee is usually a lot less than what a dealer would mark-up a pre-owned car.

Ask around in your area to find a reputable car broker to see what they'd be able to do for you. Like any 'personal service' - everything is negotiable. Stop by a premium car pre-owned dealer - they'd often do the same since they know you are a "buyer" not a shopper. And, since they don't have to inventory the car they'd be more likely to hunt one down for you at a reasonable fee. That said, it's got to be someone you check out and can trust! Buying a pre-owned car comes with its own risks. As for a pre-owned BMW I strongly recommend one that still has original warranty or CPO. The broker would/should know that if the car was coming through one of the big auction houses like https://www.manheim.com/

BTW - ignore Manheim's "public listings" usually where finance companies dump their repos and less desirable cars.

Last edited by luigi524td; 11-10-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Members

My Ride: | 2010 535i x-drive | Monaco Blue Metallic | Cream Beige Dakota | 6 Spd Manual | Sport | Cold Weather | Premium | HUD | Navi | Logic 7 |

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
in the 2 years I was looking hardcore, I only found 3 with my options. A lot of people will say it's only a car, but they just don't get it - a lot of people don't.

At least you're alright though.

Where is the car now? Did it float away or something?
The car is sitting harvesting mold in the drive way, if anyone is interest in parts I wouldn't be heart broken if it was looted
Old 11-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by TheRab
The car is sitting harvesting mold in the drive way, if anyone is interest in parts I wouldn't be heart broken if it was looted
What model is it again?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:06 AM
Members

My Ride: | 2010 535i x-drive | Monaco Blue Metallic | Cream Beige Dakota | 6 Spd Manual | Sport | Cold Weather | Premium | HUD | Navi | Logic 7 |

10' 535i x-drive
Old 11-11-2012, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by TheRab

As for me everything except my actual house was destoryed. The backyard, bulkhead, dock, deck all gone. Really what upset me was I lost my baby e60 (ironically it was exactly one year from when I bought it).

Everyone I talk to at home tells me to stop whining, it's just a car. I just don't think they get it. (I think my little pup gets it, he runs out towards the car, looks for it and then looks at me like "wtf owner>?, isn't there supposed to be a car for me to jump in?")

Anyone have any advice?
I received the following email form BMW of North America:

WE KNOW WHAT YOU’VE BEEN THROUGH. WE’D LIKE TO HELP.

Dear JAY,

For many of us, Hurricane Sandy literally turned our lives upside down. Here at BMW Headquarters, our offices were forced to shut down for days and many of our tri-state employees’ personal lives have been dramatically impacted. With so much damage hitting so close to home, we feel proud that BMW was able to donate $1 million to the American Red Cross to support relief efforts in the areas where help is needed most.

We would also like to extend assistance to any of our owners whose BMWs were damaged beyond repair in the storm. To help you regain your mobility, we would like to extend a special credit on a new or Certified Pre-Owned BMW. This offer can be used in conjunction with all current offers. Please contact your local dealer or call BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-831-1117 to get details about the program.

We know nothing can fully compensate for what you might have lost. At times like these, our attention turns to what really matters. For us, it’s our BMW “family” – that’s you, our owners. Please accept our wishes for a speedy return to normal.

Sincerely,
Peter Miles
Executive Vice President, Operations
It might be worth a shot to inquire.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

"I'm sorry about your car, but here, let me sell you another one" lol.

TheRab, did it get hit by anything, or is it just water damage?