E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

carbon black vs alpine white

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

A/W its a no brainer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

black
Old 09-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='1008585' date='Sep 15 2009, 05:33 PM
black
Traitor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alpine White for sure.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

The OP's question is sort of like comparing apples with oranges. AW and CB are dramatically different colors. AW is, of course, much more common than Carbon Black.

I have Carbon Black and love it. But I also love the AW E60's out there.

Just be clear: Carbon Black does not look black in the sunlight. Rather it looks dark dark blue. It is a truly unique color. And that is why I dig it.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Another black and white issue. Can we all get just along? How about gray?
Old 09-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Members

I just got a carbon black 550i, and I love the color. Here are some things to consider:

* As previous posters have mentioned, carbon black has a lot of depth. The color ranges from black to medium blue.
* CB is a somewhat unique color, since it's only available with the M-sport package.
* CB is indeed difficult to keep clean, but I'd offer the opinion that it looks pretty good even when it's not perfectly clean.
* With white/lighter-colored E60s, I think the character lines of the E60 show up in a more pronounced fashion, whether on the hood or on the side of the car. I believe this is because shadows show up in better contrast on lighter-colored cars, but I'm sure someone else might be able to offer a more scientific explanation. Since I think the E60 has very attractive characterlines (particularly on the side), this is a positive for AW.
* With white/lighter-colored E60s, particularly those with the M-sport package, the front grill looks a lot more prominent because it's a contrasting color (black). I think this contrast looks pretty good.
* What interior are you thinking about getting? I think that contrasting exterior/interior colors look interesting (though others may disagree on this point).
* Last, it goes without saying but check the colors out in person. My initial exterior color choice was Deep Sea Blue, which I still think looks great, but seeing DSB next to CB made the difference, for me, in choosing CB.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by nemex12' post='1008238' date='Sep 15 2009, 10:47 AM
as i said before in another post i am waiting for my 530i with m-tech kit, i am planning on buying m5 rims and m5 front fenders and bumper and vorsteriner front lip and hood but i am having a hard time trying to decide if i should go with carbon black(which ive never seen personaly) or alpine white(anyone i chose with beige interior). so i figured it would be a good idea to ask what do you guys think about these colors in a car with the parts already on(m5 front and wheels plus vorsteiner front lip and hood) thx

AW all the way!!!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535I X-Drive - Space Grey / Black Dakota / M-Sport / Sport Auto Transmission with Paddles / Premium I / Premium II / Cold Weather Gone: 2010 535I - Alpine White / Black / Sport, Premium & Cold Weather Packages / Anthracite liner / Sport Auto with Paddle Shifters / Navigation / Satellite, HD & I-pod Gone: 2006 530XI - Monaco Blue / Creme Leather

Alpine White!!
I just went from a 2006 Monaco Blue to a 2010 Alpine White.
Since I put 27,000-30,000 miles a year on the car, I was constantly detailing the dark blue.
While I think the dark colors look best on a BMW, keeping them looking good is a huge challenge. The Monaco Blue like Carbon Black requires a lot of care to always look clean and to avoid swirls. Even with orbital polisher and lot's of Zaino, I could never get the blue looking swirl free in the low angled sunlight (earlier morning or evening - sunrise / sunset)
If you drive a lot, I would recommend the Alpine White.
You also mentioned interior color. I went from natural beige to black with anthracite roof liner and love it! Either has its challenges keeping clean; the beige carpet and constant dust in the black. I was intent on the beige interior, but went with black based on availability and love it!
The anthracite roof liner is standard on M-Sport; be sure you like the look with the beige. It sets off the black interior perfectly.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530X, Silver Gray, Black Dakota, Premium Package, Cold Package, Park Distance Sensors, Steptronic

To me, it depends on where one lives. Here in the Northeast, something is always falling from the sky, snow, pollen, pine needles, rain, sap, so I would say no to the black, even though nothing looks better. My wife's car is black and mine is silver grey and there is no comparison - the silver grey looks good even when it's filthy (to me) while the black looks good for one day max.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Pioneer530' post='1008724' date='Sep 15 2009, 09:31 PM
To me, it depends on where one lives. Here in the Northeast, something is always falling from the sky, snow, pollen, pine needles, rain, sap, so I would say no to the black, even though nothing looks better. My wife's car is black and mine is silver grey and there is no comparison - the silver grey looks good even when it's filthy (to me) while the black looks good for one day max.
You are right about black looking good only for a short period of time. Although it sure is beautiful when clean.

If your number one priority is having paint that looks clean even when it isn't, go Titanium Silver. My TS 540i Sport was so easy to care for.

Quick Reply: carbon black vs alpine white