E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Carbon Black or Space Grey

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered a '08 550iM Sport in Carbon Black. My previous two 5's ('01 540iA, 04' 545i SMG Sport) have both been Titanium Silver.

I have only seen pictures of Carbon Black, and figured it was time for a change. However, I'm a little torn now that I see pictures of Space Grey.

How does Carbon Black look in person vs pics? Do the pics not do it justice? Since I've already had 2 silver 5's, will I probably not feel bad when I see one in Space Grey passing by? I'm so !

Finally, I got black interior, anthracite headliner, and bamboo anthracite wood. I liked pictures I saw of the anthracite bamboo...anyone see in person and have comments? Should I switch? Again, very confused
Old 04-24-2007, 05:25 PM
sol
Members

Originally Posted by tottifan' post='417419' date='Apr 24 2007, 09:12 PM
Just ordered a '08 550iM Sport in Carbon Black. My previous two 5's ('01 540iA, 04' 545i SMG Sport) have both been Titanium Silver.

I have only seen pictures of Carbon Black, and figured it was time for a change. However, I'm a little torn now that I see pictures of Space Grey.

How does Carbon Black look in person vs pics? Do the pics not do it justice? Since I've already had 2 silver 5's, will I probably not feel bad when I see one in Space Grey passing by? I'm so !

Finally, I got black interior, anthracite headliner, and bamboo anthracite wood. I liked pictures I saw of the anthracite bamboo...anyone see in person and have comments? Should I switch? Again, very confused
Picked up my carbon black last week. My opinion of the color, black paint with lots of blue metallic. Seen it when ordering mine on a 2002 M5, liked it, didn't love it. I was torn between the CB and space gray as well. In the end my gut told me to stay with the CB. I love it now that it is on my car. Looks black, certain angles blue..very cool and classy. Also did the black interior, tinted windows 50%..looks great.

Good luck.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=39274
Old 04-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

Originally Posted by tottifan' post='417419' date='Apr 24 2007, 08:12 PM

Tough decision. I saw both colors on LCI 550's. Both very sharp. If you like a darker car, and can put up with the "its never clean" syndrome, go for it. Very speckly paint, it shimmers and is a deep blue-black in the sunlight. It is beautiful. If you like lighter cars that are easier to clean, but don't want titanium silver, get space grey. It is very sharp as well, very classy. The latter is my choice as I generally prefer a lighter car and have to park outside at work. A dark car is hotter in the summer and gets (and stays) dirty.

I haven't seen the anthracite bamboo yet, but I have seen a black interior with the anthracite headliner.

Lou
Old 04-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Members

I ordered the Space Grey with Bamboo trim. I got to see the Bamboo trim with black interior today at my dealer on a 535. It looked very good.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Saphire Black, Sport Package, Premium Package, HID, and SAT Radio.

Space Gray all the way, hey that rhymes,... the Carbon Black should really be called Carbon Blue!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Members

It's a tough one! Cleaning is one issue and the other issue is status. What do I mean? Carbon Black is ONLY available on a 550i Sport where Space Gray you can get on any 5 Series.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bmw1986' post='417520' date='Apr 25 2007, 06:19 AM
It's a tough one! Cleaning is one issue and the other issue is status. What do I mean? Carbon Black is ONLY available on a 550i Sport where Space Gray you can get on any 5 Series.
I had a 530d in carbon black on loan last weekend. very hard to keep it looking at its best. i couldnt face that.

Space Grey, though my imminent 535d msport is silver!
Old 04-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Members

I'm picking up my Carbon Black LCI 530d tomorrow. Friday will be spend cleaning, cleansing & waxing, so pics will be posted on Saturday. I've gone for the bamboo trim but with cream beige interior.

Carbon black looks very very dark blue under certain (flourescent) lights. I almost switched to Monaco blue after seeing Carbon Black in my local showroom and mistaking CB for MB.

In daylight it's clearly black unless very very close (IMHO) in which case you can see the dark blue hue.

I guess CB will be much harder to keep clean - I've always hankered after a black car but never actually gone for it- except now. I have seen a LCI 5 series in what I think was space grey - to me it had a greenish tint (from about 10m away). I could have been tempted by space grey myself, IF I'd had the opportunity to see it in the 'flesh' before I'd ordered.

I think either is going to look good.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by tottifan' post='417419' date='Apr 24 2007, 09:12 PM
I have only seen pictures of Carbon Black
I am sure you've seen CB before...if you've ever seen a black E46 M3, then its CB.
Its basically navy blue.

Space Grey is just like Silver Grey, except with less blue/purple tint.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

well it your car so choose what you like most.
I`m not a big fan of black cos it gets very hot in HK and itis very had to keep it clean and shiny.

Quick Reply: Carbon Black or Space Grey