E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Carbon Black rehab question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 02:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

Over the years I have had quite a few BMWs in different colors and one of my favorites was a Carbon Black M3. The color was so unique. It was as many have described Carbon Black here looking black in some lights, and blue in others, and it seemed to posses an iridescent quality when light would hit it.

Well I just took delivery of a one year old used Carbon Black 550, strange thing is that to me it doesn't appear iridescent at all, the color looks more like my first BMW which was Monaco Blue; just a really dark shade of Navy Blue that looked black in the dark. My question is about the fact that it looks like I saved the paint from the previous owner. The paint even after one year has some serious dry spots along the hood and side, with associated swirl marks, like an 15 year old sun baked car, with the marks being in the clear coat and thankfully not down to the paint. I don't know if it is because the car was buffed with a rotary buffer or was from sand damage from being in Arizona.

Well first thing I am going to do is strip whatever wax is on there with dawn, clay bar it, and Zaino the heck out. I just was wondering if anyone has seen the Carbon Black on the M series and on the 550 and can confirm that they are the same color, and posses that iridescent look? Ultimately I was hoping that with TLC I will be able to rehab the car back to that slick wet iridescent. Sorry for the long winded explanation, appreciate any insight.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same carbon black. Some TLC will do you right.