E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Carbon Black aka Schwarz

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 12:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black
Red face

I thought i'd post this as general information, I notice a number of LCI and Pre LCI cars in Carbon Black amongst the members here.

My LCI e60 525d M Sport is coming up on 7 weeks old now, I managed to put 4700mls on the clock, these have been mainly motorway miles and as such i've recieved the inevitable barrage of debris along the way, I had dialogue with the valet man at my local dealership, he told me from day one to apply a good coating of deep/hard polish and was kind enough to give me a bottle of the BMW OEM variety, it has worked a treat and gives a deep shine as well as offering protection from wind damage, i had however noticed a few tiny marks on the bonnet, a week or so ago i ordered the touch up kit for Carbon Black, to my joy this has arrived.

I'll probably use an age old method of employing a toothpick to fill the tiny chips, if anyone has experience of touching up small chips please respond with any favoured methods, i did not expect the pack to contain a clearcoat too, i'm not sure if i'll use this but again would like any comments from members who have carried out this sort of work.

The part number of the kit appears to be as follows....

416 (i assume this to be the colour code)
carbonschwarz met (colour name)
51 91 0 302 070 (bmw part number)

I've attaached an image too for clarity.

Any help in advance of my attempts to do a good job on my chips would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

R
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Black aka Schwarz-31_05_07_0930.jpg  
Old 05-31-2007, 04:23 AM
Members

My Ride: Carbon Black 535d Sport. Black Dakota leather, Media and visibility pack with adaptive Xenons. Hi-fi, servotronic, grad tint screen etc etc

R,

I've got a CB car too. Mine has 10 times the mileage fo yours and is slightly peppered on the front end. The best thing to do with the touch up is not to use the brush in the tube. Get either a very fine artists brush or do what I do and use a cocktail stick to touch in the chips. Essentially dip the cocktail stick in the tube and when you have a little on the end, fill the chip. Make sure that you leave the paint proud of the bonnet, i.e put a bit too much on, as it'll settle. Leave it for a while and then use a polish to take the top off the paint. This will then leave it flat with the bonnet.

It's dead easy and will keep the car looking good. I've never used the lacquer, but another tip is to decant a little paint and a little lacquer into a separate pot and mix them together before using the cocktail stick method. Be sure to only decant as much as you think you might use, as the paint will go off in a matter of 30 mins or so.

Cheers
Matt
Old 05-31-2007, 05:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring (E61). Silver Grey, Automatic, Professional SatNav, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, 6CD changer, Bi-Xenons, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by MattO' post='430230' date='May 31 2007, 07:23 AM
R,

I've got a CB car too. Mine has 10 times the mileage fo yours and is slightly peppered on the front end. The best thing to do with the touch up is not to use the brush in the tube. Get either a very fine artists brush or do what I do and use a cocktail stick to touch in the chips. Essentially dip the cocktail stick in the tube and when you have a little on the end, fill the chip. Make sure that you leave the paint proud of the bonnet, i.e put a bit too much on, as it'll settle. Leave it for a while and then use a polish to take the top off the paint. This will then leave it flat with the bonnet.

It's dead easy and will keep the car looking good. I've never used the lacquer, but another tip is to decant a little paint and a little lacquer into a separate pot and mix them together before using the cocktail stick method. Be sure to only decant as much as you think you might use, as the paint will go off in a matter of 30 mins or so.

Cheers
Matt
Great tip, I've never managed to get the right amount of paint on the tip of the brush that's supplied!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

Originally Posted by MattO' post='430230' date='May 31 2007, 01:23 PM
R,

Cheers
Matt
Matt

Thanks for the tip, I think i'll leave my chips till the next time i strip the wax off, this will be in a few months time before heading into the autumn/winter, that way the paint should key better? then after a decent couple of coats of the hard polish she should have a trouble free winter. I'll most likely repeat the whole process in the early spring of next year.

R