E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car wouldn't start last night =(

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i

Hi all -

Just thought I'd share with you my unfortunate tale from last night that has yet to be resolved and also to see if anyone may know what the problem is.

Last night after returning from a concert in San Francisco, I had to drive a friend home in the Berkeley Hills. When I arrived at his house, I went in for about 20 minutes and when I came back out my car wouldn't start. After holding down the brake and pushing the ignition button, the starter would keep turning over but the engine wouldn't fire. It struck me as extremely odd because I had just driven my car 20 minutes before and there were no problems. I didn't believe it to be a battery or starter issue but I called BMW Roadside Assistance and they sent someone out to try and jump start it. At 1:30 am (an hour after I called, which they told me it would be that long so no complaints there) the guy shows up and can tell just from me trying to start is that it IS NOT a battery or starter issue and says it's most likely either something with the fuel pump or fuel line. So he takes off and I call BMW Roadside again and they say they're going to send someone out to tow it but being that it is a quiet residential cul-de-sac I tell them to wait until the next morning.

So I stay the night at my friend's house and they call me at 6 am and tell me that they would like to have someone there by 7 because that's what I requested but it's not likely to happen because, as he stated, "I'm from the east coast and it's difficult to get Californians to do anything in the morning." That actually made me laugh. So I had to leave my car there, I'm at work now but they are supposedly towing it at around 3:30 this afternoon to Weatherford BMW in Berkeley. Ironically, I was just telling a friend yesterday evening how I don't like that dealership and instead go to Concord. So much for that.

So that's the story. Anyone have an idea as to what it could be?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Platinum Silver Metallic Gray Dakota Leather, Premium Pack, Premium Sound, Logic 7, Sport Pack, Navi, PDC, Sunshades, Cold Weather and HUD. 56k miles Feb. 2011

The only good thing that I can think of from this incident is that BMW will fix it for FREE. Can you imagine what the cost will be if the car is out of warranty ? My car's warranty just expired. I am praying that nothing major will happen.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

wow, that sucks.. Funny statement he made though, I like that. I hope they give you some idea of whats going on, I have no clue, did the car have power at all? It just wouldnt crank? I guess it could be a fuel related issue, your car is the same year as mine, so im c
urious what it is. Ive only had a few minor problems with mine, one was the pump for antifreeze and it said I was "overheating" and went into limp mode, lol. I had that one towed and the tow jerk dug a gouge into my paint, so make sure you check your bumpers and everything when you see your car. Keep us posted and I would call and make sure your car is there and safe. GL
Old 11-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Members

All interior/exterior lights worked and there were no warning lights on... so I'm even more confused! I will definitely keep you guys posted. The only thing I'm worried about is that I didn't have time to remove the Sprint Booster... so maybe if I get back to my car early enough I can do it. I don't want them to blame this on the Sprint Booster and try to get out of the warranty.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by acorradi87
....So that's the story. Anyone have an idea as to what it could be?

If the fuel pump is working, you are out of gas or the TDC sensor for the number 1 cylinder is bad.

Just a stupid guess

Old 11-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

yeah, how much gas was in it?

its kind of rare to hear a fuel pump go out on a naturaly aspirated bmw.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Members

The gas tank is at over 3/4ths full. Luckily was able to remove the Sprint Booster before the tow truck arrived. Just gotta wait till Monday so they can run all the diagnostic stuff and I'll report back as to what they find. It really could be anything... something fuel pump related was just a guess.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Members

UPDATE!

Got a call from Weatherford BMW this morning. The DME sensor that controls the fuel injection fell out of calibration which he said is minor and rarely happpens. Bottom line, everything is fine and it's ready to pick up. Kind of makes me nervous that it may happen sometime when it's even more inconvenient but I guess that's just a chance I'll have to take, I'm just glad I'll get my baby back.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

More often than not, when your car is PERFECTLY fine one minute and then dead the next, it's usually not mechanical, but electrical or some sensor. Mechanical problems usually have some warnings or noises or something to give you that "uh oh" feeling. These days cars are like computers and in essence, your computer crashed. It's just that you need BMW to re-boot it.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Members

Yea that makes sense. I figured that although it could have been something mechanical it was probably more electrical just cause there was absolutely no warning and it happened while the car had been parked for only 15 minutes.

Quick Reply: Car wouldn't start last night =(