E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start!!!!!! help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i

Got my car about a month now and its been great to me.. never showed any problems.

So this morning i let my sister start my car because we were running late (shes never done it before but i figured how hard can it be?)... she ran inside saying it wouldn't start. I came out to take a look and the steering wheel was locked. So i unlocked it by turning the wheel and starting it. The wheel was able to move freely now but the engine wouldn't start! So after 10000000000+ attempts starting and messing around with it.... it just wouldnt start. There was no error messages too besides the "Service Engine Soon" sign which comes up everytime the car is idle..

The idrive display comes on as usual, cd player still works music can still play, all the lights from dashes etc works, i can unlock/lock my car using the key... Its just the engine wouldn't start, not even crank up or make any weird sounds.

Since im not too car savvy i gave in and called the towing company to get the car towed to an indy mechanic. The mech inspected it and said the car was in excellent condition and the only problem he could think of is that the car isnt recognizing the key or its signals w/e. This was just great because the previous owner only provided me with one key. Now i gotta go order another key from bmw which will probably take 2 days or so. And if that doesn't work im shit out of luck.

Anyways, heres what i woke up to:

What a crappy day. Literally. Now my car has to sit outside the autoshop until i can get it running.. place looks pretty shady too..

Any of you guys encountered similar problems? Any suggestions?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

You did put your foot on the brake before trying to start right?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
You did put your foot on the brake before trying to start right?
yes, always. i even tried without foot on brake.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Ok... foot on the brake and nothing at all? No clicking, no turning, no nothing? But the electronics work? And you could turn the wheel? I am thinking its not your key - and whats with the pickup truck towing you??
Old 11-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

If everything is powering up as stated, I would think starter or start button malfunctioning. If your car is automatic transmission, it should be towed by rear wheels at worst but should be on flatbed to prevent spoiler damage.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Nice "Towing Company" lulz

Hopefully you get everything sorted out. Last time my car did that I had a bad battery. Dealer replaced it for free since I only had the car for 3 days after I bought it.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

Originally Posted by gotabyte
If your car is automatic transmission, it should be towed by rear wheels at worst but should be on flatbed to prevent spoiler damage.
x2
Old 11-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jaycal3
Ok... foot on the brake and nothing at all? No clicking, no turning, no nothing? But the electronics work? And you could turn the wheel? I am thinking its not your key - and whats with the pickup truck towing you??
Foot on the brake, i am able to turn the key all the way like usual and all electronics come on. Although its pretty heavy i can turn the wheel. Im not sure if its the key either but thats the only thing my mech can come up with. He even tried to jump start the car but it wouldnt work (but then again the car wouldnt even crank with the key so pretty much useless attempt)..

My mechanic called that dude to come tow it.. I didn't know but at least he didn't physical tow my car with a hook. The autoshop was literally 5 mins away from my place too and the dbag charged me $50!
Old 11-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

Originally Posted by eojj
My mechanic called that dude to come tow it.. I didn't know but at least he didn't physical tow my car with a hook. The autoshop was literally 5 mins away from my place too and the dbag charged me $50!
and the shop looked shady?

I hope everything works out buddy!!
Old 11-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Luxurytax
Nice "Towing Company" lulz

Hopefully you get everything sorted out. Last time my car did that I had a bad battery. Dealer replaced it for free since I only had the car for 3 days after I bought it.
I wish i still had warranty on my car. I honestly feel like i shouldve taken the car to the stealership to get an immediate resolution. If a new key doesn't work i just wasted my time at the indy shop.

speaking of the towing company... When i try to turn on the car now some error symbols came up on the car when i tried to start it (ABS, DSC malfunction) - likely the result of the gay towing truck.. it'll probably disappear once i get back on the road however.

Quick Reply: Car won't start!!!!!! help please