E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car washing during this drought order

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Commercial car washing is allowed only if they use recycled water. I think it means that hand washing, commerical or otherwise, is now outlawed

I'm in West Kent. Not seen any hand washing places about. Not likely to either.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Members

The drought order in affect in the Sutton and East Surrey water area is effectively a hose pipe ban for business and you can still wash the car with a a bucket my wash is down to 20litres of water. If there is a total ban and panic buying of the bottles variety hasn't set in then I'll buy 20 litres of mineral water and use that.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525d Touring; Black-Sapphire; Black Dakota Leather; Steptronic; Navigation System Business; Roofbars; Power Glass moonroof; Power seats with Driver memory, Heated front seats; PDC-Park Distance Control; Xenon Headlights with Adaptive Light Control; Radio Professional with 6 Disc CD-Charger in Glovebox;

Originally Posted by sese' post='283101' date='May 16 2006, 02:47 PM
why no car wash? of course you should avoid car wahes with brushes. scratches can be caused. but there are some with sponges. in wiesbaden, germany there's one. that's pretty good because you drive through it and many soft sponges overcast the car. no scratches. maybe some pics of it?
Hello sese,

Can you please give me the name/location of specific car-wash in Wiesbaden which makes it?
Is it just a specific one in Wiesbaden, or you are talking about a Car wash chain which I can check if it exists also near me?
In the limit, I need to start to plan a weekly trip to the "Capital" for a car wash...

Thanks
Old 05-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Originally Posted by forge197' post='283272' date='May 16 2006, 09:06 PM
The drought order in affect in the Sutton and East Surrey water area is effectively a hose pipe ban for business and you can still wash the car with a a bucket my wash is down to 20litres of water. If there is a total ban and panic buying of the bottles variety hasn't set in then I'll buy 20 litres of mineral water and use that.
I don't think you can wash with clean water even if you pay over the odds for it!

From what I read today it has to be used water in a bucket. Bath time methinks...

Ironically most carwash machines recycle a fair amount of their water anyway.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I would use QEW (Quick and Easy Wash; see Protectal.com). This is a hoseless, rinseless wash which you could easily do in your garage. It is my wash solution of choice; I only rarely use a hose. For discussions of the use of this product go to autopia.org.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 525DSE Auto Olivin

Originally Posted by nbusbridge' post='283170' date='May 16 2006, 04:49 PM
I'll go visit the father-in-law up in Lincs or my mum in Wales. Plenty of water there.
Trouble with a water butt is that there may not be enough rain to fill it.
I've only seen brush washes in the UK. Wouldn't let my car near them.
I would guess the "hand car washes" you find may be in danger too. But I don't really want them near my car either DOHH!

You could try this wash though it is a bit of a trip

http://www.bubbles-n-babes.com/welcome.htm
Old 05-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My Cars: 2004 545i Black with Balck | 6 Speed Manual | Sports Package | Moon Roof | Adaptive Steering | Smoking Package | Cold Weather Package | Adaptive Xenon | Premium Sound, LOGIC7 | Hard Wired V1 | AUX Input | Only 13K Miles! 2001 530i Green with Tan | Sport Package | Streptronic | Moon Roof | SOLD 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L (Beat my 530i off the line until about 40 MPH) | SOLD 1981 320i destroyed Other family members cars: 2008 Yukon Denali Black with Black 2007 Aston Martin DB9 Cabriolet Black with Black 2006 Mercedes G55 Black with Black | 2004 Yukon XL Denali Black with Tan | 2003 BMW X5 3.0 Silver with Black | Every option available | 2001 Porsche C4 Cabriolet Silver with Black | 6 Speed Manual | 1958 Austin Mini Green with Black Interior 67k Miles, Fully restored in 2003 | Beach Car

It's been raining here (Rhode Island) for nearly two weeks everyday.

Do you have a garage? Outfit it for washing a car
Old 05-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Wash it in your garage...
Old 05-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by blingo' post='283291' date='May 16 2006, 09:45 PM
I don't think you can wash with clean water even if you pay over the odds for it!

From what I read today it has to be used water in a bucket. Bath time methinks...

Ironically most carwash machines recycle a fair amount of their water anyway.
Can't see how they can complain if I wash it with water supplied from else where I could be very wrong though
Old 05-16-2006, 11:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

From the Sutton & East Surrey Water website: http://www.waterplc.com/WaterPlc/dro...ughtorder.html

the Company hereby prohibits, with effect from Saturday 27th May 2006, the use within its area of supply, of any water supplied by the Company (whether by meter or not) for any of the following purposes:

5. the washing by hosepipe, sprinkler or other similar apparatus, of road vehicles boats, railway rolling stock or aircraft for any reason other than safety or hygiene.

Not entirely clear if hand washing is or isn't OK. We already have had a hosepipe ban for several months. So I assume this drought order is more restictive.

A somewhat more informative commentry is on http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../ixnewstop.html

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs will say whether three companies can introduce the most draconian measures in more than 15 years, banning homes in Surrey, Sussex and Kent from using water for all "non-essential purposes", including washing cars, filling swimming pools and ponds or using hosepipes to clean windows.

All car washing, even with a bucket, would be banned, but motorists would be able to clean windscreens and lights for safety reasons. If the restrictions last for long, many car wash firms could close.

It seems that despite the fact that you pay water rates, the water companies are only obliged to supply you water for "household" use. Anything outside the house is considered non-essential, and they can therefore ban you from doing it. Which includes car washing.

For 30 years I living in Australia, and it was common to have water restrictions. But I don't ever remember not being able to wash your car by hand. What's wrong with the UK that the government lets the water companies get away with this. I don't see any efforts to increase water supplies.

Quick Reply: Car washing during this drought order