E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car washing during this drought order

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 10:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Seems that washing your car, even using a bucket, will be banned this summer. I don't use an auto carwash, due to risk of scratches. Who else is affected by this, and what do you plan to do?

The only solution I can think of is to drive up to London and find somewhere that does hand washing. And hope they're still in business.

Maybe we all need to find friends in areas that don't have drought orders

You can be sure that if I collect rainwater to wash the car, I'll be dobbed in by some neighbours.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' post='283017' date='May 16 2006, 07:57 AM
Seems that washing your car, even using a bucket, will be banned this summer. I don't use an auto carwash, due to risk of scratches. Who else is affected by this, and what do you plan to do?

The only solution I can think of is to drive up to London and find somewhere that does hand washing. And hope they're still in business.

Maybe we all need to find friends in areas that don't have drought orders

You can be sure that if I collect rainwater to wash the car, I'll be dobbed in by some neighbours.
Got tons of the stuff ...good old Keilder...You guys have all of the sun, we get all of the rain, I think your idea of collecting the rain in a waterbutt is a good idea Bloody enoying the way in which the waterboards are wasting it in your area
Old 05-16-2006, 01:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' post='283017' date='May 16 2006, 07:57 AM
I think they're still allowing commercial car washes to operate. Better that than having hundreds of former Soviet Union migrants claiming benefits as they are unable to work.

I haven't had to machine wash a car for more than 12 years - there are so many hand car washes around in SE England due to the influx of people prepared to work in them and owners hungry for a cash business
Old 05-16-2006, 01:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cjbryce' post='283047' date='May 16 2006, 10:12 AM
I think they're still allowing commercial car washes to operate.
Nope

ABC
Old 05-16-2006, 03:11 AM
Members

Last mailing i got from southern water said that commercial car washes would still be in operation although they have applied for an order to restrict this if the need arises. Dont know if this has changed, was about 3 weeks ago?

There's a decent hand car wash in Canterbury - don't know what part of kent you're in banglebox ??
Old 05-16-2006, 04:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cameron' post='283080' date='May 16 2006, 12:11 PM
Last mailing i got from southern water said that commercial car washes would still be in operation although they have applied for an order to restrict this if the need arises. Dont know if this has changed, was about 3 weeks ago?

There's a decent hand car wash in Canterbury - don't know what part of kent you're in banglebox ??
My understanding was that it all happened yesterday.

ABC
Old 05-16-2006, 04:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

why no car wash? of course you should avoid car wahes with brushes. scratches can be caused. but there are some with sponges. in wiesbaden, germany there's one. that's pretty good because you drive through it and many soft sponges overcast the car. no scratches. maybe some pics of it?
Old 05-16-2006, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sese' post='283101' date='May 16 2006, 01:47 PM
why no car wash?
Drought. Mainly caused by leaking pipes and too many toilet flushes.

ABC
Old 05-16-2006, 07:49 AM
Members

My Ride: Due May 2006: 530d SE Touring, Automatic, Titanium Grey, beige leather comfort seats, light poplar wood trim, sports steering wheel, graduated tinted windscreen, panoramic sunroof, pro radio, logic 7, 6CD, visibility pack, storage compartment pack, adv aircon

I'll go visit the father-in-law up in Lincs or my mum in Wales. Plenty of water there.
Trouble with a water butt is that there may not be enough rain to fill it.

why no car wash? of course you should avoid car wahes with brushes. scratches can be caused. but there are some with sponges. in wiesbaden, germany there's one. that's pretty good because you drive through it and many soft sponges overcast the car. no scratches. maybe some pics of it?
I've only seen brush washes in the UK. Wouldn't let my car near them.
I would guess the "hand car washes" you find may be in danger too. But I don't really want them near my car either DOHH!
Old 05-16-2006, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nbusbridge' post='283170' date='May 16 2006, 04:49 PM
I would guess the "hand car washes" you find may be in danger too.
They disappeared here (Berks) weeks ago.

ABC

Quick Reply: Car washing during this drought order