E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car vibrates at highway speeds.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 05:27 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Stock '07 530xi
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
Good to hear that you finally got it fixed. It's sad that the original people did not balance the tires correctly there fore giving you an additional issue making it harder to troubleshoot. If the thrust arms were done right (suspension under load before tightening the rear bolt) then you will not need an alignment. If not then you will need one. Only he can tell you how he completed the job. It is definitely something you could of did with an hour of spare time maybe two with a couple of spirit beverages. LoL

Thanks for coming back and posting the fix.
He got the parts for $130 each. Best I found was $200 each. He wanted $100 for labor so it wasn’t that bad.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 283 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

If they were lemforder then that was definitely a great deal but if they were just after market then ok. But for $360 for the job including parts was a steal. The important part is that your issue was fixed and if you weren't misdiagnosed then you would have made out great. I personally do things myself so if I do misdiagnosis then I'm only out for what I paid for the part. I learned my lesson a long time ago taking my car to the dealership because they are the worst at troubleshooting on the customer dime. Since then I refuse to take my car further than the garage unless I'm stranded to far away from home and even then I try to find the issue before I call a tow truck.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:24 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
If they were lemforder then that was definitely a great deal but if they were just after market then ok. But for $360 for the job including parts was a steal. The important part is that your issue was fixed and if you weren't misdiagnosed then you would have made out great. I personally do things myself so if I do misdiagnosis then I'm only out for what I paid for the part. I learned my lesson a long time ago taking my car to the dealership because they are the worst at troubleshooting on the customer dime. Since then I refuse to take my car further than the garage unless I'm stranded to far away from home and even then I try to find the issue before I call a tow truck.
Yes, lemforder. I would have attempted to do it myself but I’m living in an apartment at the moment with no garage space and only street parking so it’s hard for me to really DIY anything at the moment. :/ most I’ve done was an oil change and an air filter replacement. Wish I was able to have a garage with lifts.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport
Default Bushings

Originally Posted by Nadhir
yes, all struts and Shocks along with the mounts were replaced. He told me that the bushings were bad when I picked it up. I told him about my trip and he said it shouldn't be an issue so I don't know. He also said the lower control arms would fix the vibration but it didn't. :
I have been there and done that. The problem is the lower bushings. Have someone drive the car a 1 to 3 miles an hour while lightly pumping the brakes. If is a lower bushing you will see the tires on either side slightly move out.. On y car, the movement was 1.5 in on the left and 3/4 in on the right. I could feel a vague jittering in the steering wheel. It was an odd feeling because it felt like the steering wheel was shaking L to R, not up and down.

Good luck.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:33 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW540i MSport Auto
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Nadhir
I ended up getting the Thrust Arms done yesterday. The vibration is gone, thankfully! I don't think the lower control arms and sway bar links did anything...there was no noticeable difference. The only thing that really changed the vibration were the installation of the new Thrust Arms and the Wheel Balancing. Wish I did that first instead of the other stuff...would've saved money in parts and labor, along with that alignment because now I'm sure I'll need another one sine the Thrust Arms were installed.
I have similar issue currently with a new to me E60 540i. vibration kicks in at about 90km/hr and is annoying. Started after I got new wheels actually, so I'm booked in for a re-balance. If that doesnt solve it, I'll try this next. But when you say you "did the thrust arms", do you mean the bushes, or a complete new part?
Old 09-11-2018, 04:55 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Bucko74
I have similar issue currently with a new to me E60 540i. vibration kicks in at about 90km/hr and is annoying. Started after I got new wheels actually, so I'm booked in for a re-balance. If that doesnt solve it, I'll try this next. But when you say you "did the thrust arms", do you mean the bushes, or a complete new part?
pretty sure that was another term for upper control arms.
Wheel balance did wonders but there was still a vibration that didn’t go away until the parts were changed. It seems like the ball joints/bushings did it. I replaced a few parts down there but now it drives amazing.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:06 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW540i MSport Auto
Model Year: 2006

Thanks,
After my re-balance things are 80% better, so clearly they didn't quite get it right the first time. I'll look into front end bushings etc in the near future. So surprised that a wheel balance could have such a big affect on things. I've own plenty of cars over the last 20 years, never seen this before.