E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car vibrates at highway speeds.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 01:33 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Stock '07 530xi
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
This is crazy. A lot of money spent on something only one thing is doing. First i would of started out with a new tires rotation and balance. If the wheels balanced then it was not the wheels. Tires because you needed new ones. Rotation because if it corrected itself in the front then it was the ones moved to the rear. Secondly the swing arms do not make a noise. You know they are bad when going over a pot hole or speed bump you will hear a clunk noise as if something if loose. The only thing left are control arms, hub assemblies, tie rods and thrust arm. If it does not feel like you are rolling on a flat spot then it's not the hub assemblies. That leaves three. Do a visual check and you will see the issue.

The squeaky noise will only come from shock or strut assemblies. Nothing else. They probably was not tightened down enough but then you will hear a cluncking noise with it.
I know. I'm so mad right now it's stupid. And it's not like the car is driving any better after all of that. It drives the EXACT same as before I did any work on it.
Already got new wheels. Getting a balance later today.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Maybe the shop that put the tires on did not balance them true. Hopefully it is only a balance so you can get this behind you. Things like this is frustrating especially when you have a mechanic troubleshooting on your dime when he really doesn't know what the issue is.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:15 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530i 2008 LCI
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N52

Found my problem when trying to change the guibo and center bearing: driveshat is wobbling, U joints are done... But this is not the worst of the problems, the transmission oil heat exchanger cracked inside and now i have ATF in my coolant and possible water in ATF in gearbox. Thing is i didn't drive much since the vibration appeared as i have a second car, so i did not feel any judder in changing gears, no clanking no problems. Let's see...
Old 08-20-2017, 04:13 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
Maybe the shop that put the tires on did not balance them true. Hopefully it is only a balance so you can get this behind you. Things like this is frustrating especially when you have a mechanic troubleshooting on your dime when he really doesn't know what the issue is.
I know...it hurts. I’m not made of money and I’m being charged for things that didn’t do anything.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:17 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Gee_115
The first thing you should have done was to do a tire balancing. If that doesn't work then do the Thrust arms(the big curly ones). You stated you got all new wheels and tires, so rims shouldn't be the issue. Before you waste anymore money go to a reputable tire shop and get all four balanced.

Thrust and control arms usually smooth out at high speeds and you are more likely to feel vibration, if they are bad, at lower speeds. Vibration is usually caused by bad tires, unbalanced tires, bent rims, or worn out bushings in the control/Thrust arms. Your problem definitely sounds like a balancing issue since it is at high speeds. I would suggest going to a different shop from the one who installed the wheels and tires, get them balanced again, regardless of if they were already balanced. This is the cheapest option so worth the try. If that doesn't work you should then replace the thrust arms and get an alignment.

Please report back whenever you do get it fixed.
Wheel balance helped. The guy said my tires were ‘way off’.

So I’m not even going to bother mentioning how passed I am at the guys who were supposed to balance my wheels prior to this...

In other news, the vibration is still there, just not as severe. It wasn’t really severe to begin with (it got pretty bad though after driving for like 4 hours straight and started vibrating at 80-90 which it never did before. Now it still vibrates around 60-70/75 but it’s just barely noticeable. Steering wheel vibrates slightly also.

Mechanic said my bushing is worn. Would this cause it?
Old 08-21-2017, 06:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package

Originally Posted by Nadhir
Mechanic said my bushing is worn. Would this cause it?
Definitely, changing the thrust arms is your next logical step anyway. This is also something you can do by yourself. Buy the parts off ebay, install them then go get an alignment at the dealer. You need an alignment whenever you mess with the suspension.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

You need an alignment whenever you mess with the suspension.
I wouldn't say suspension as a whole but definitely certain parts of the suspension.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:25 AM
New Members

Definitely, changing the thrust arms is your next logical step anyway. This is also something you can do by yourself. Buy the parts off ebay, install them then go get an alignment at the dealer. You need an alignment whenever you mess with the suspension.
It’s an easy job? Mechanic said he’d charge $100 to do the pair.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:06 AM
New Members

I ended up getting the Thrust Arms done yesterday. The vibration is gone, thankfully! I don't think the lower control arms and sway bar links did anything...there was no noticeable difference. The only thing that really changed the vibration were the installation of the new Thrust Arms and the Wheel Balancing. Wish I did that first instead of the other stuff...would've saved money in parts and labor, along with that alignment because now I'm sure I'll need another one sine the Thrust Arms were installed.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Good to hear that you finally got it fixed. It's sad that the original people did not balance the tires correctly there fore giving you an additional issue making it harder to troubleshoot. If the thrust arms were done right (suspension under load before tightening the rear bolt) then you will not need an alignment. If not then you will need one. Only he can tell you how he completed the job. It is definitely something you could of did with an hour of spare time maybe two with a couple of spirit beverages. LoL

Thanks for coming back and posting the fix.