E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car theft prevention?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

We've got a good alarmsystem in the house. But the keys are always downstairs. why? If they want to take my car please do so.. I have a great insurance (don't we andreas??? ) And I am sure my dealer will be very happy to order a brandnew 535d for me hehehehe..

So I am not sweating when I go to bed. I am just happy when the car is still there in the morning or else I will be off to the dealer
Old 05-08-2005, 10:55 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Imperialblue - HK Sound - Panorama Roof - High Executive

Originally Posted by andy545' date='May 8 2005, 11:15 AM
I have a few colleauges who had their cars stolen that way. They said they would still leave the keys at the same place, not upstairs...As far as the car is concerned, you can't do much, if they have the key, it's pretty much game over.

A class 5 alarm with sat tracking is an option I guess....
[snapback]125810[/snapback]
Hi Andy,

Did your colleagues have a class 5 alarm? I'm considering it, but others tell me "good" thieves are able of disturbing it so it doesnot work. So, does it work as prevention?

My kids would love to have a dog, so that's their choice of a better alarm system!

It indeed is a game over when they have the key, I keep my keys downstairs because I have colleagues who had some "other country" people with a strange accent in their bed room "yor kies plies".

After 30 days now, I'm starting a new order for a fresh E60 and indeed the dealer is happy for selling an extra car.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Members

Get the boomerang system, when your purchasing your bmw, they should offer it to you. Basically what it is is that you will be required to have the boomerang keychain in front of the dash as soon as you put in the keys. If the boomerang keychain is not in front of the dash as soon as the keys are put into the ignition, the car will be reported stolen and satellite tracking will begin. I believe their guarantee is to get ahold of your car within 60 mins, and to be returned within couple hours, or youd be eligible for a new car. Oh and the system doesnt cost that much either.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Contributors

Trunk Monkey
Old 05-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by Eric525d' date='May 8 2005, 08:55 PM
[quote name='andy545' date='May 8 2005, 11:15 AM']I have a few colleauges who had their cars stolen that way. They said they would still leave the keys at the same place, not upstairs...As far as the car is concerned, you can't do much, if they have the key, it's pretty much game over.

A class 5 alarm with sat tracking is an option I guess....
[snapback]125810[/snapback]
Hi Andy,

Did your colleagues have a class 5 alarm? I'm considering it, but others tell me "good" thieves are able of disturbing it so it doesnot work. So, does it work as prevention?

My kids would love to have a dog, so that's their choice of a better alarm system!

It indeed is a game over when they have the key, I keep my keys downstairs because I have colleagues who had some "other country" people with a strange accent in their bed room "yor kies plies".

After 30 days now, I'm starting a new order for a fresh E60 and indeed the dealer is happy for selling an extra car.
[snapback]125830[/snapback]
[/quote]

Class 5 won't prevent such an occurance. Just good chance of retreiving the car.
Personally, I skipped it and invested the money in home security.
Smashproof windows, rolluiken, plenty of lighting arounf the house etc. plus the car is always parked in a locked garage.

Unfortunately the latest I've heard from police reports is that since home security
is improving, burglars just ring the door bell and attack from the convenience of the front door.
:'(
Old 05-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by andy545' date='May 8 2005, 02:01 PM
Class 5 won't prevent such an occurance. Just good chance of retreiving the car.
Smashproof windows, rolluiken, plenty of lighting arounf the house etc. plus the car is always parked in a locked garage.

Unfortunately the latest I've heard from police reports is that since home security
is improving, burglars just ring the door bell and attack from the convenience of the front door.
[snapback]125846[/snapback]
So, that's what I understood from police, lease company and colleagues. Upgrading the barriers will lead to more violence from burglars. I think the dog will be best solution.

Kigerka? What is a Trunk Monkey? (Stupid question? Should I know?)
Old 05-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='May 8 2005, 08:20 PM
Trunk Monkey
[snapback]125836[/snapback]
Old 05-08-2005, 12:18 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Eric525d' date='May 8 2005, 01:09 PM
[quote name='andy545' date='May 8 2005, 02:01 PM']

[snapback]125846[/snapback]
So, that's what I understood from police, lease company and colleagues. Upgrading the barriers will lead to more violence from burglars. I think the dog will be best solution.

Kigerka? What is a Trunk Monkey? (Stupid question? Should I know?)
[snapback]125848[/snapback]
[/quote]

Here you go...
http://www.trunkmonkey.com/content/view/29/51/

There's a few more videos here:
http://www.trunkmonkey.com/
Old 05-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='May 8 2005, 07:11 PM
We've got a good alarmsystem in the house. But the keys are always downstairs. why? If they want to take my car please do so.. I have a great insurance (don't we andreas???? ) And I am sure my dealer will be very happy to order a brandnew 535d for me hehehehe..

So I am not sweating when I go to bed. I am just happy when the car is still there in the morning or else I will be off to the dealer?
[snapback]125821[/snapback]
So what happens if they steal the car and crash it badly but not to the point where it is uneconomical to repair. It is repaired and u get it back but you are now driving around in a decidedly second hand car. Someone on the forum had this happen to them :'( Actually, can anyone remember how it finished up? Was it repaired or totalled? Don't think I'd fancy it myself. Keep the keys safe unless you are afraid that they WILL come upstairs and use force looking for them. :'(

Car theft prevention?-545_rear_1.jpg
Old 05-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='May 8 2005, 01:20 PM
Trunk Monkey
[snapback]125836[/snapback]

Trunk Monkey Anti Theft System......

Quick Reply: Car theft prevention?