E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car is taking longer than usual to engage into Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by r9ndy
I just recently notice that my car is taking a bit longer to engage into reverse. It seems like there is a 2-3 second lag or so before it engages. Has anyone had this problem?

Ok bad news, this is the first sign that your transmission is going out (when car fails to go into reverse quickly). Get rid of the car now before it fails and costs you $8,000 or more to replace. Or, you better pray you have full coverage warranty on the vehicle. Other suggestion, go to BMW and have a $450 transmission flush service performed. See if this corrects it.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

I started a similar thread back in February regarding the exact same issue but unfortunately I got no response I thought I was the only one....

https://5series.net/forums/topic/110...1#entry1308560

Anyhow, I haven't gotten around to seeing the dealer yet but I suppose maybe the first thing we should do is change out the tranny fluid like someone previously suggested. If that dont help then we're SOL.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i - mo mods...just got it

Originally Posted by Howitzer
Ok bad news, this is the first sign that your transmission is going out (when car fails to go into reverse quickly). Get rid of the car now before it fails and costs you $8,000 or more to replace. Or, you better pray you have full coverage warranty on the vehicle. Other suggestion, go to BMW and have a $450 transmission flush service performed. See if this corrects it.

I thought these car had sealed transmissions. Someone told me and i think even the dealer told me that transmission is sealed and cannot be flushed.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:03 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by gvolkov
I thought these car had sealed transmissions. Someone told me and i think even the dealer told me that transmission is sealed and cannot be flushed.
Earlier, BMW's position was 'sealed transmission, fluid change is NOT necessary'.

Now, BMW changed it's position. BMW dealer is offering the service of changing trans fluid. I received a quote from BMW dealer of $420 for trans service.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pcy
Earlier, BMW's position was 'sealed transmission, fluid change is NOT necessary'.

Now, BMW changed it's position. BMW dealer is offering the service of changing trans fluid. I received a quote from BMW dealer of $420 for trans service.
BMW, based on my experience, has always "offered" to perform fluid changes - on your dime and not calling it a "Scheduled Maintenance". And, the fluid is "Lifetime" ... but transmissions can break/malfunction - even if the fluid is still usable, $400 is a darn cheap "service" ... did they quote the replacement of the pan/filter at that price, too?
Old 05-16-2011, 07:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Taking way too long, once put into Reverse, to start going backwards was a problem my wife's 530 had from the time it was new. We took it in to the dealer about 4 times per year with that complaint. Always resulting in being told "it is operating normally" or "cannot duplicate". This went on for 4 years and we then traded it in on a new one. They never touched the transmission. Just kept telling me it was normal- and I certainly knew better...this was not my first car! Good luck.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i - mo mods...just got it

My 2005 525 now has 136000 miles.

Should i have the transmission fluid flushed?

As i explained earlier in this thread it seems like it "kicks" when it goes from 2 to 1.

Another source told me that it also could be the speed sensor. Any comments on that?

Speed sensor would make sense if it sends wrong signal to transmission.

I just dont want to do the transmission flush if its not what causing the problem. I wonder if there is a way to test that speed sensor?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 545i CSR

About the reverse: Don't worry about it. It is a normal sign of transmission getting into mid used state. You can still drive like that for a long time. My car has had the same symptom for over 3 years and we're still fine.

About the kick: It's a common problem with E60 and I have it also. It appears to be some software glitch. Try updating to the latest transmission software. I didn't update yet, but drive like that and I stopped noticing it.

BTW: There is a simple 100USD fix for the first of the above scenarios, if you have a guy who's good at transmissions. You need to take the transmission apart some and there is a small spring that needs to be replaced. It stretches too much over time causing the above "problem".
Old 05-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

Originally Posted by denissm
About the reverse: Don't worry about it. It is a normal sign of transmission getting into mid used state. You can still drive like that for a long time. My car has had the same symptom for over 3 years and we're still fine.

About the kick: It's a common problem with E60 and I have it also. It appears to be some software glitch. Try updating to the latest transmission software. I didn't update yet, but drive like that and I stopped noticing it.

BTW: There is a simple 100USD fix for the first of the above scenarios, if you have a guy who's good at transmissions. You need to take the transmission apart some and there is a small spring that needs to be replaced. It stretches too much over time causing the above "problem".
have you tried changing the transmission fluid and filter?
Old 05-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 545i CSR

Yes. It didn't help. I know sometimes when people change their fluid - they start having the problems as described above, but that is not related. It's just transmission going into the mid cycle of usage.