E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car is taking longer than usual to engage into Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

I just recently notice that my car is taking a bit longer to engage into reverse. It seems like there is a 2-3 second lag or so before it engages. Has anyone had this problem?
Old 05-13-2011, 05:10 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

What is the year and model of your car? How many miles on the car/transmission?

When was the last time transmission was serviced (trans fluid/filter change)?
Old 05-13-2011, 05:14 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i six speed w/ sport and premium package

Originally Posted by r9ndy
I just recently notice that my car is taking a bit longer to engage into reverse. It seems like there is a 2-3 second lag or so before it engages. Has anyone had this problem?
I have had this problem on other cars and solved it pretty simply. There are additives that you can put in the transmission fluid before changing it that will help clean out the transmission. Typically you will put the car in reverse and let it idle for ten minutes or so with the wheels stopped so it doesn't move. After doing this change the fluid and cances are your problem will be solved. This process helps restore pressure in the hydraulic systems that allow your transmission to shift.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i

Originally Posted by Jroxas
I have had this problem on other cars and solved it pretty simply. There are additives that you can put in the transmission fluid before changing it that will help clean out the transmission. Typically you will put the car in reverse and let it idle for ten minutes or so with the wheels stopped so it doesn't move. After doing this change the fluid and cances are your problem will be solved. This process helps restore pressure in the hydraulic systems that allow your transmission to shift.

Im not a big fan of addatives :thumbsdown:
Old 05-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i

At least yours does it in reverse. mine does it at long red lights on D!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:59 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 525i six speed w/ sport and premium package

Originally Posted by MlifeE60
It's only left in for the duration that you are flushing the transmission. You change the fluid right afterwards with your regular ATF. I'm not a huge fan either but this is much better than the alternative.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by MlifeE60
many of those additives cause your seals in the transmission to swell up.....which may restore some lost pressure. remember, auto transmissions are hydraulically operated.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

Thanks I think I'll give this a try and see how it goes. Is there a particular brand/additive I should try?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i - mo mods...just got it

I have a 2005 525i and when it stops, i guess when the gears switch from 2 to 1, i feel a little "kick". I took the car to the dealer, they did some kind of "reset". It didnt help though. They said that i should drive a little bit for the transmission to "learn" my driving habits. I think that was complete BS, and car still didnt learn.

Other people tell me that transmission is sealed and cannot be flushed. Does this mean i cant add any additives?

Dealer suggested to replace the transmission for like 6K.

I think there must be something i could do to fix this. And yes, mine takes longer to engage into reverse too.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:44 AM
Contributors

Maybe in a '92 Pontiac ... but there isn't much that a $5 additive will to do to the package of "chemical stuff" that makes up the fluid inside BMWs auto transmissions. The problem may be something simple like a s/w fix or correction of a leak (there's a valve/gizmo on the transmissions that is a common problem area). In either case the cure isn't likely to be a magic elixir from Autozone but a diagnosis that pinpoints the real problem.

For the OP:

For starters I'd suggest trying the reset "technique" .. that's described in the forum - search for it. That will cause the adaptive feature of the transmission to re-learn how the car is driven. But if the problem is more severe and continues I guess you know that means a trip to a qualified BMW dealer or indy.

Maybe it will be something simple like low fluid level - that can be checked without taking the transmission down. Find what caused that - fix it ... top off fluid ... and pray

Good luck sorting it out !

Quick Reply: Car is taking longer than usual to engage into Reverse