E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car stuck again-won't go into neutral

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Car won't go into neutral so won't start for the third time. Had to leave it again because towing company needs neutral to tow it. My first two episodes are in these threads:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=13922&hl=
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...48&hl=pennetta
July 22nd-The first time the tried to duplicate issue, it did not happen while they had it. So they wrote it off to a glitch.
August 1st- The second time they replaced the brake light switch, updated the SMG software, cleared the adaptive memory, re-calibrated trans and something called special measure SMG module.
August 7th- Stuck again.
Is this strictly a SMG thing? What else should they check/replace?
I am going to the car again later to see if I can start it. HELP.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Hi Pennetta,

Sorry to hear about all the trouble you're having. In process of ordering a 550i and will be waiting until the SMG option is available. I've spent many hours on this forum to "see" if such a phenomenon exists with the Steptronic or 6-speed. No such luck. IMHO I believe the SMG construction/design is so different from the other two transmissions (No mechanical hardware under the shifter, but semiconductor components, right?) that this "Can't get it into neutral" thing is only happening on the SMG transmissions.

I too would welcome any insight into this phenomenon. Are any April 2005 and beyond BMWs w/ SMG still having this problem?

Good Luck Pennetta. I hope they find a fix for your SMG problem.
SMG Rocks, when it works.
-Tony
Old 08-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Cooltones, Thanks. I just got back from trying to start it again and it started so at least I have it home now. I'll bring it in tomorrow morning. Bye-the-Bye, I checked the NY State Lemon Law and if you write off your car on your income taxes then it considered a work vehicle and not a pleasure vehicle which it needs to be to qualify for Lemon Law protection. I'm a Corporate Real Estate Broker where I write off a percentage of my car so I guess I'm not covered under the Lemon Law. I rather them fix it anyway but I'm starting to lose my confidence.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Aug 7 2005, 10:16 PM
...because towing company needs neutral to tow it...
[snapback]156887[/snapback]
Ahem... NO!
Find a towing company that uses this:

Car stuck again-won't go into neutral-schlepp1.jpg

Problems like this are what the cranes are made for...
Old 08-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i

Got the same behaviour with a 330 SMG.

It seemed to happen more during short stops on hot days. The problem does not even register in the car computer (it does not think it has a problem).

The car got destroyed in an accident, so I never really figured out the problem, but I kind of remember that the order of stuff mattered, between foot on brakes and inserting/turning the key.

Good luck

Fred
Old 08-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Yikes again? This is worrying... I figured it wasnt the brake light assembly... but I was hoping that a combination of things that the dealer did for you would have cured it, I guess not.

I think ipse dixit might be closer to the problem... need to replace the hydralic pump.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...ndpost&p=155521

Humm you know what... the car does start up the hydralic pump when we unlock it right? what if you go outside lock the car wait a bit till you hear the car "shutdown" then unlock the car again and hear it "wakeup" thats when it starts up the pump.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 7 2005, 06:18 PM
[quote name='pennetta' date='Aug 7 2005, 10:16 PM']...because towing company needs neutral to tow it...
Ahem... NO!
Find a towing company that uses this:

Attachment 9484

Problems like this are what the cranes are made for...
[snapback]156930[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ahem ... we are in the US here ... thats way tooo modern for us over here! lol i have only seen 1 of them ever, and that was in ATL when they removed my Audi A4 Quattro while in gear, and the ebrake on ... parked in the wrong spot. lol
Old 08-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

We still hadly have flatbeds here!!!
Old 08-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Aug 7 2005, 05:00 PM
Yikes again? This is worrying... I figured it wasnt the brake light assembly... but I was hoping that a combination of things that the dealer did for you would have cured it, I guess not.

I think ipse dixit might be closer to the problem... need to replace the hydralic pump.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...ndpost&p=155521

Humm you know what... the car does start up the hydralic pump when we unlock it right? what if you go outside lock the car wait a bit till you hear the car "shutdown" then unlock the car again and hear it "wakeup" thats when it starts up the pump.
[snapback]156957[/snapback]
Go to your dealer and insist that the service advisor check and then replace your hydraulic pumps.

While my M3 has the SMG II, the SMG system on the E60 is similar and operates via pump actuators. If those are malfunctioning because of faulty sensors, your car will not engage (or disengage as the case may be).

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:17 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Aug 7 2005, 03:16 PM
Car won't go into neutral so won't start for the third time. Had to leave it again because towing company needs neutral to tow it. My first two episodes are in these threads:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=13922&hl=
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...48&hl=pennetta
July 22nd-The first time the tried to duplicate issue, it did not happen while they had it. So they wrote it off to a glitch.
August 1st- The second time they replaced the brake light switch, updated the SMG software, cleared the adaptive memory, re-calibrated trans and something called special measure SMG module.
August 7th- Stuck again.
Is this strictly a SMG thing? What else should they check/replace?
I am going to the car again later to see if I can start it. HELP.
I would be getting a BMWNA engineer involved at this point. When the dealership failed repeatedly to get mine problems straight in 2004, I filed the lemon law and got results. BMWNA sent an engineer who was knowledgeable enough to direct the job.

Quick Reply: Car stuck again-won't go into neutral