E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car smoking...I need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 03:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

I replaced valve stems at 105k. But my car was not smoking that bad. OP if you find out that it is the valve steals and if you are DIY-er and can take valve and upper timing covers off and put them back yourself than there is a guy in Long Island who is a BMW mechanic and still works in dealership. He did mine for $450 after removing covers off with my own.
But if you can not perform those repaires he charges $2200 for replacing valve seals which is still cheap i think and you gonna have new valve and timing cover gasckets also as they start leaking at your milage.
If you are interested PM me and I can give you he's contact number.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Members

Hey guys heres an update.... So after cleaning everything and putting it all back together the car runs much smoother and its isnt smoking that much so far. The first start up after putting everything back together there was no smoke. I drove it around for 10-15 min and shut it off. I started it back up like an hour later and there was still no smoke. This time I drove it for 30 min. The third time I started it there was a little bit of white smoke but nothing comparable to the blueish/white smoke from the day before. Im gonna go drive it in a little like I stole it as recommended by SlvrBmr545 so if youre on route 80 east watch out Im by rockaway new jersey high points a little far from me! My cars an 04 545i. If it was bad valve seals wouldnt I see blue smoke everytime I started the car up after sitting over night? Margal could you send me his info that would be great but hopefully ill never need to contact him haha
Old 06-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by AllBlackBMW
Hey guys heres an update.... So after cleaning everything and putting it all back together the car runs much smoother and its isnt smoking that much so far. The first start up after putting everything back together there was no smoke. I drove it around for 10-15 min and shut it off. I started it back up like an hour later and there was still no smoke. This time I drove it for 30 min. The third time I started it there was a little bit of white smoke but nothing comparable to the blueish/white smoke from the day before. Im gonna go drive it in a little like I stole it as recommended by SlvrBmr545 so if youre on route 80 east watch out Im by rockaway new jersey high points a little far from me! My cars an 04 545i. If it was bad valve seals wouldnt I see blue smoke everytime I started the car up after sitting over night? Margal could you send me his info that would be great but hopefully ill never need to contact him haha
Let it idle for about 5 minutes then swiftly rev to around 4500-5000 rpm and look for a smoke cloud. If none shows up, you probably had a different ailment. Good luck!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Members

So im back with another problem.... go figure. Changing the ccv's definitely fixed the original problem! No more smoking at idle or when driving and the car runs much smoother. The only problem is lately I've noticed the car leaves huge clouds of smoke at red lights. Its happened to me on 2 different occasions. The smoke cloud was big enough that it covered the highway This happens randomly and no matter what I do I cant recreate it. The smoke is whiteish and theres a lot. Ive had people follow me and they never see any smoke. Recently I took off the ccv hoses and saw that they had built up some oil in them, could this be the problem? Thanks for the help!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by AllBlackBMW
So im back with another problem.... go figure. Changing the ccv's definitely fixed the original problem! No more smoking at idle or when driving and the car runs much smoother. The only problem is lately I've noticed the car leaves huge clouds of smoke at red lights. Its happened to me on 2 different occasions. The smoke cloud was big enough that it covered the highway This happens randomly and no matter what I do I cant recreate it. The smoke is whiteish and theres a lot. Ive had people follow me and they never see any smoke. Recently I took off the ccv hoses and saw that they had built up some oil in them, could this be the problem? Thanks for the help!
smoke while sitting at light, or when taking off? if taking off, then it sounds like valve stem seals. and the longer you sit at the light, the more smoke you'll get.