E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car smoking...I need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car smoking...I need help

Hey guys, so the other day I replaced my ccv valves because I noticed some blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust. When I took them out I found out that both sides were torn and leaking air. The car runs smoother and there no longer is a rough idle. Today when I started my car up, a cloud of white smoke shot out of my exhaust. When I started my car up about an hour ago i revved the engine to see if any smoke would come to show my parents and to my surprise a massive blue cloud of smoke came out. Is it possible I messed something up when replacing the ccv valves? Maybe something is clogged or needs to be clean since the tears were probably there for a while? Any help is much appreciated and Ill do my best to provide info. I dont have a lot of money currently so I want to try and fix this myself first.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Members

forgot to mention it's a 545i with 88,000 miles
Old 06-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

It could be valve stems.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Members

Is there anything else that I should check before I get it looked at for the valve stems? i know that's a very expensive repair. I'm hoping its something with the ccv valves
Old 06-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by AllBlackBMW
forgot to mention it's a 545i with 88,000 miles
Thats a pretty low mileage for an 8 or 9 year old car. How did you aquire it? I wonder how well she was maintained. While the N62B44 engine is notorious for leaving smoke screens in higher mileage engines, im surprised to see such a relatively low mileage engine exhibit the behavior. Worn guides/stems usually are a result of useage/high miles, or lax maintenance. If the car held to the '15'k/cbs oil change schedules, its possible that wasn't enough.

You stated you were noticing smoke before you did the CCV repairs. How much smoke? Do you see it all the time, or after long idles? I'm hoping its crank-case valve related, or a relative easy fix, but realistically, plan for major surgery to fix.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Members

I bought the car from a rich couple that had lots of other cars haha so they barely used it. Im in college so my car stays home so it only gets driven once or twice a week by my parents and during the summer. Ive changed the oil as scheduled and I always make sure there is enough oil in the car. It was a significant amount of smoke when I started the car. The smoke only occurs when I start the car up or if i let it idle for a while then rev the engine. Im hoping its not a major fix because it still hasnt even hit 100000 miles. Im going to check the spark plugs in a couple hours to see if there is any residue on them.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Members

So I took the ccv hoses off and I found that there was a lot of oil in these. Is that something normal?
In this picture, the arrow on top points to a connection that was filled with oil/sludge. The bottom arrow shows a connection that had some oil draining out of it. The two on the side were filled with sludge.
Since the top was filled with oil I figured some was going into the intake manifold so I took the throttle body off. When I did this I looked inside the manifold and it was covered in oil. Could this be the reason for the blue smoke?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:50 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545

It is possible . Clean it all up and put back together . Now for the fun drive it like you stole it for a while . JK but do take it for a nice ride on the highway and get on it . You will see it decrease and go away or continue .. When you get back shut it off and let it sit for a half hour then start it and rev it to see if it continues or let it idle for a few min and rev . If you get a big cloud you might be in need of a major surgery for those valve seals. Good Luck !!! Where in Jersey are you ? I'm up by High Point in Sussex
Old 06-02-2013, 08:54 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545

BTW what year and model ? It sounds like a 545
Old 06-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

oil in the intake is normal, due to the crankcase ventilation system. blowby gasses get routed back into the intake to get burnt in the combustion process, for cleaner emissions.

from your description, it sounds like bad valve seals. though i dont know why they seem to go bad on the 545 so much.

Quick Reply: Car smoking...I need help