E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car Shut off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 545I and while I was driving the Display window started to blink off and on. Then I lost power! And the car would not restart. I had my alterantor checked for output, and it came back fine.I got a new battery this week and the same thing happened again! Has this happened to any of you? PLease advise!
Old 09-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Members

IS the car throwing up any error codes...
Sounds like a serious job for a dealer to properly assess.

Traveling at any speed when the car shuts off is extremely dangerous
Loss of Hydrolics brakes, DTC, and Power steering could be hazadous
Old 09-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i - GONE

scary! I had my display window flash an electronics malfunction once, pulled off into the slow lane just in case, but the car seems fine. There's a bit hesitation when I start it up sometimes though.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ulvit
IS the car throwing up any error codes...
Sounds like a serious job for a dealer to properly assess.

Traveling at any speed when the car shuts off is extremely dangerous
Loss of Hydrolics brakes, DTC, and Power steering could be hazadous
I don't see any specific error code....but all of the error light images begin to start lighting up. ..Then the engine just cut off.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Members

I once had an alternator problem... the terminal coroded...BUT when checking, it came up fine.
Until literally starting pulling it out and found that the terminal was sooo far gon, it snaped off the alternater like a tooth pick.

Check the alternator cabling...from start to finish It sounds like what i had (BUT, this was not in a BMW)
Old 09-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 525..Eibach sport springs,M5 trunk lip, AC schnitzer rear window spoiler,AC schnitzer front lip, black kidney grill,6000k headlights and HID fogs,550 sport rear bumper with black diffuser,shadowline window trim,upraded to 2010 rear LCI rear lights, magnaflow exhaust with 335 tips.

Originally Posted by 1naprice
I have a 545I and while I was driving the Display window started to blink off and on. Then I lost power! And the car would not restart. I had my alterantor checked for output, and it came back fine.I got a new battery this week and the same thing happened again! Has this happened to any of you? PLease advise!
Old 09-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 525..Eibach sport springs,M5 trunk lip, AC schnitzer rear window spoiler,AC schnitzer front lip, black kidney grill,6000k headlights and HID fogs,550 sport rear bumper with black diffuser,shadowline window trim,upraded to 2010 rear LCI rear lights, magnaflow exhaust with 335 tips.

I have a 04 530 and the same thing happened this weekend except it didnt shut off. The display flahed a code that read electronic malfunction. Cease driving immediately but I did not stop and the car kept driving fine. I have friends at a dealership. I will take mine in and let you know what they said.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i - GONE

Originally Posted by rogerc6904
I have a 04 530 and the same thing happened this weekend except it didnt shut off. The display flahed a code that read electronic malfunction. Cease driving immediately but I did not stop and the car kept driving fine. I have friends at a dealership. I will take mine in and let you know what they said.

please do! let me know what you find out. I changed my plugs recently, doubt that I messed anything up.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 1naprice
I had the same problem in my 2004 530. Took the dealers like a month to detect the problem. It was a main fuse behind the power module which was loose. So sometimes it would just have no contact and the car shuts down.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Senior Members

I had the same a few months ago, caused by a broken alternator. I replaced it and everything is fine now.

Quick Reply: Car Shut off while driving