E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car Shakes When Cold Started

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Hello,

My high mileage E60 started shaking noticeably when I start the car on a cold morning. The car only shakes at idle (if i start driving immediately then it does not shake) and this only happens on a cold morning. I have not owned this car over a winter yet, thus I'm not sure if this is typical.

Does anyone have any ideas why this could be happening? The car is over 100K and is out of warranty.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Titanium Silver/Black, 6-Sp Steptronic, Sport Package, HD Radio, Sirius, Premium Sound, GPS Nav, Cold Pkg, cell phone cradle, iPod through the AUX port 1976 Datsun 280Z, Charcoal/Black, 5-Sp Manual, A/C, American Mags, CD, Tom Tom 930 GPS (works better than the BMW!) and the rest is pretty much stock

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='493335' date='Nov 12 2007, 04:17 PM
Does anyone have any ideas why this could be happening? The car is over 100K and is out of warranty.
Just an idea but this was happening when I got my '07 550i last year. The progman was updated and I stopped using fuel with any ethanol and the problem is only very occasional now and not as serious. It used to sound like an unlimited fuel dragster for 5-10 seconds at the start, bucked when backing out of the garage but cleared up as soon as I put any pedal on it. Try some good Shell V-Power for a tank or two and see if that helps. Updating the progman out of warranty might cost you more that it's worth.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:54 AM
Senior Members

yeh, i get that when its really cold, like today, i turned it on to take my son to school and the whole car was shaking, its happened before, and i just though that the car did that anyway because it was diesil engine, regardless of refinement.

Is this a problem, or is it a common thing amongst E60,s

the car had been parked since saturday, all day sunday, was not moved and it was like 2.c durimng the night so def cold.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:04 AM
Members

My Ride: E53 E60 E92

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='493335' date='Nov 12 2007, 04:17 PM
Hello,

My high mileage E60 started shaking noticeably when I start the car on a cold morning. The car only shakes at idle (if i start driving immediately then it does not shake) and this only happens on a cold morning. I have not owned this car over a winter yet, thus I'm not sure if this is typical.

Thanks
I noticed car shaking thing with all of my newer cars, usually after I wash it and sit in the garage for a day or so afterwards. Never through any code but rough almost bucking for 20-30 seconds.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Saloon / Carbon Black / E-maps re-map / 20" Vortex R alloys - carbon black / Pro-Nav / Vis pack / heated leather / enough for now /

Originally Posted by HPIA4v2' post='493666' date='Nov 13 2007, 02:04 PM
I noticed car shaking thing with all of my newer cars, usually after I wash it and sit in the garage for a day or so afterwards. Never through any code but rough almost bucking for 20-30 seconds.

I'd suspect one or more failed/failing injectors on a diesel.
For petrol models, might be coil packs, which sit over each sparkplug.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

Have you tried any additive for the gas?
It's probably the gas tank is dirty because of the build up.
And, if it's still shake like that, bring it to the dealer and they will adjust your gasoline flow from the computer.
That's what happened to me 2 months ago. It's fixed now.
Good Luck buddy.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by jonno_' post='493667' date='Nov 13 2007, 06:09 AM
I'd suspect one or more failed/failing injectors on a diesel.
For petrol models, might be coil packs, which sit over each sparkplug.

Wouldn't a COP or diesel injector that's failing send a CEL? I have had a COP intermittantly misfire (due to washing the engine and getting water in the plug cavity) and immediately got a CEL. Search the forum under "rough idle", I thought a ways back I read a post concerning this topic and it was more of an software issue...

See yahmegaman's thread "Rough idle 530" (sorry don't know how to put a link here) but his SA told him to turn off the car and restart after a few seconds and it started smoothly after that.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I had this problem from day one. It got a little better when the dealer updated the software, but it was still there a little. After installing my AFE cold air intake a few weeks ago, the car now starts up smooth...Now shaking or rumblimg...smooth as butter!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

I had a problem with shaking during cold starts. I took mine to the dealer, they found misfiring in the cylinders. Dont remember what they did, but they had to replace a bunch of valves. This was for the 545i engine thou. Not sure if it is similar for the 525i. I have attached a SIB about this issue.

SIB_Rough_Idle.pdf
Old 11-15-2007, 04:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='493335' date='Nov 12 2007, 10:17 PM
Hello,

Never happened . And on mountains the car was parked at -20? Celsius with 10 inches of snow on it .

Does anyone have any ideas why this could be happening?

No, sorry!

Quick Reply: Car Shakes When Cold Started