E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car Not Starting Anymore - All Lights Flickering

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

Hi Guys,

My 525i 2006 doesn't start anymore... As soon I turn on all lights on Dash board, inside car flicker, and when I turn the key further it doesn't even do the clicking sound.

I thought battery is dead, so I jumped started the car, now all the lights stay on , but as soon I try starting nothing happens. Once I remove the jumper cables, the car lights and dash board lights start to flicker and eventually turn off completely.

Is this bad battery or something?? I am outside maintenance warranty... Pls help!

Anyone have number of the local independent BMW mechanic in NJ. I used to remember a guy in NJ who did MTech installs on other BMW maintenance?
Old 04-30-2011, 06:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Have you modded anything electrical? Or recently changed anything?
Old 04-30-2011, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonymac
Have you modded anything electrical? Or recently changed anything?
Nope, nothing. Recently rear light had gone bad, haven't replaced it yet.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:41 AM
Contributors

I suspect the battery is DEAD. To confirm that the Alternator is still functioning while the motor is running and after you've removed the jumper cables attach an volt-ohm meter to the under-hood battery post and a good ground. If it's registering 14+ V your alternator is probably OK. It's not unusual for one of the cells in the battery to short out or go dead and our cars are super sensitive to battery connections and voltage. IF you're lucky your '06 doesn't have the Intelligent battery sensor (IBS). Those have been known to go "stupid" .

If you're looking for a good BMW independent near you ... where in NJ are you located? FYI - this is NOT a job for Sears or PepBoys!! Tracking down these issues requires BMW experience and some "special" electronics tools.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:49 AM
Senior Members

Its the battery lol mine did the same thing. Just get your battery replaced.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

SWEET! Another victory to the 5series members. Next question LOL
Old 04-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

Yah thats what I am thinking, battery is bad..

I guess Autozone would carry it? How much does repair shop charge to replace it?
Old 04-30-2011, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
I suspect the battery is DEAD. To confirm that the Alternator is still functioning while the motor is running and after you've removed the jumper cables attach an volt-ohm meter to the under-hood battery post and a good ground. If it's registering 14+ V your alternator is probably OK. It's not unusual for one of the cells in the battery to short out or go dead and our cars are super sensitive to battery connections and voltage. IF you're lucky your '06 doesn't have the Intelligent battery sensor (IBS). Those have been known to go "stupid" .

If you're looking for a good BMW independent near you ... where in NJ are you located? FYI - this is NOT a job for Sears or PepBoys!! Tracking down these issues requires BMW experience and some "special" electronics tools.

I live in Branchburg, NJ 08876

I am trying to find out best way to tow the car right... Can I sign up AAA membership today and get it towed? Not sure if the membership gets active today.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

Also do I need to take to a BWM Dealer to program the battery or any local service shop can replace the battery?

googling, I came across this thread..

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1287135

Looks I need to replace the battery w/ Everstart Maxx 49 at Walmart for $75
Old 04-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by coolguy
I live in Branchburg, NJ 08876

I am trying to find out best way to tow the car right... Can I sign up AAA membership today and get it towed? Not sure if the membership gets active today.
tow? Where?
Just go buy a battery at autozone and put it in. It's not that hard, and the wrenchs in your tool kit should work. A 5 minute job.

Quick Reply: Car Not Starting Anymore - All Lights Flickering