E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car jerks/jumps when brake release from stop

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003, Passat W8 Station Wagon.
Thumbs up

Hi guys: I have an 08 535xi and have been having a recent problem with the brakes when car is cold and starting from a full stop.

When I release the brake pedal (flat road, no hill or slope) the car "jerks" or "lurches" as if the brake released and then grabbed, or the transmission jerks into gear. It's only after a full stop like at a traffic light and is only when the car is cold. No problems after 10 - 15 mins. Anyone experienced this?
Old 05-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Cadillac XLR // Silver with Black Interior 2002 Lincoln LS // Silver with Grey Interior [En Route] 2008 Black Sapphire Metallic 535xi // Black Nasca Leather // 18" Star Spoke Wheels // Sport, Premium & Cold Pkg // Bamboo Anthracite Trim & Headliner // Comfort Access // Head-up Display // Navigation // Logic 7 // HD Radio // Ipod // Sunshades

I have this EXACT problem and posted on here a few months back but no one seemed to have any experience with it. I brought it in to BMW and of course once the mechanic got in the car it stopped happening after it did it at every red light the whole way there. They kept it overnight and tried to reproduce the issue on a cold start the next day but they claimed they couldn't. It seems the longer the brakes are depressed the more of a jerk the car has when you let off the brake. It also ONLY happens in regular drive mode, never in sport mode, so I've just been keeping it in sport mode at all times. Hopefully someone can give us some insight on the problem.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Guess what it happened to me too. I was stopped at a light and when I let the brake go it jerked as if the car behind me bumped my bumper. As you stated before it happens only when your on the brake and release. It's probably happened about 4 times or so in the last few months. I've dismissed it but it's been on my mind. We have to follow up on this issue.

Hmmm so far 535xi's only
Old 05-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson Edition 6.4L OHV Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V8 (350hp/650lbft) Blue Flame Package Dual Alternators Touch Screen Navigation + DVD Player Uplifter Switches Trailer Brake Controller Traction Control Rapid Heat Supplemental Cab Heater Rear View Camera Power Slide Moonroof

i havn't had this problem with mine! the brakes were very sensitive untill i broke them in a bit. but i havn't experienced what you guys are explaining.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Lets revive this post, bumpy for those who have not read it.....
Old 05-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Contributors

Check ur cars guys.Coincidence IT SEEMs IT'S an 535xi issue. MAYBE
Old 05-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Members

Guys, I don't think this is just an XI issue. I have had this happen in my car as well. I haven't taken the time to try and figure out what is happening yet, but I will and will get back to you.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bucket' post='578328' date='May 11 2008, 05:10 PM
Guys, I don't think this is just an XI issue. I have had this happen in my car as well. I haven't taken the time to try and figure out what is happening yet, but I will and will get back to you.
Another member ....bumpy
Old 05-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003, Passat W8 Station Wagon.

Thanks for the replies; its appreciated! The dealer (Toronto BMW) are interested and like many of you when I took the service rep for a ride it would not do it! I look forward to reading more experiences and hopefully find a resolve. Stephen.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Contributors

Excellent keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Car jerks/jumps when brake release from stop