E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car Was Hit This Morning....

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 04:58 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: 2009 535i - Stock...For Now 1989 Chevrolet Truck - Too Many Mods to List

Got the preliminary estimate today. Came in at $6,600 from just the visual inspection. Dropped it off at my shop this afternoon, so I'll see what else comes up that they couldn't see. Stay tuned......
Old 11-06-2015, 06:49 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: E60 M54

There should be skids marks behind your car. If not my bet unfortunately was
She was checking her facebook account.

For that matter check her last Facebook post before you check for the skid marks..

Good to hear no one was harmed. +1
Old 11-07-2015, 08:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

Which shop do you use?
Old 11-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Wow, you got the better end of the stick! My insurance company (Wawanesa) gave me only a little less than $2,500 for the estimate (damages very similar to yours!!!). I got hit from behind by another car last week (see my other thread), and they didn't even ask if I was okay. I am not even claiming bodily injury because my recent chaotic life does not give me the luxury to breathe or feel pain... :-(

Originally Posted by Big Tap
Got the preliminary estimate today. Came in at $6,600 from just the visual inspection. Dropped it off at my shop this afternoon, so I'll see what else comes up that they couldn't see. Stay tuned......
Old 11-08-2015, 03:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535i - Stock...For Now 1989 Chevrolet Truck - Too Many Mods to List

Who knows what she was doing. I'm not one to speculate. I'm just glad she was ok. While it's an inconvenience, my car can be fixed.

A friend of mine is the body shop manager at a large Chevrolet dealership here in Houston. After getting the estimate from the insurance company's certified shop, I took it to him to get fixed. It's nice to have the piece of mind that he'll take care of it the way I want, with the parts I want on it. Also, if there's additional damage when they take it apart, he'll be able to deal with the insurance company to get additional funds.

I think I've decided to do with the Umnitza quad exhaust, but I'm still undecided on the rear bumper. Can't decide if I want the Mtech bumper with a quad diffuser, or to just go with the M5 bumper. Other than looks, any pros/cons to either?
Old 11-09-2015, 08:23 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Model Year: 2008

She hit your car because she couldn't even see through the windshield. Look at how fogged up her windshield is?!

Anyway, you're lucky she hit you square in the rear. I was rear ended slightly off center, which caused my right frame rail to bend down just enough and pull my quarter panel down, causing it to buckle. My spare wheel well also needed to be hammered back into shape.

I can tell you from experience that your E60's injuries are very minor.

Her car just looks really bad because typically a car's front end is an energy absorbing crash structure, with more open area than structural components. Whereas any car's rear end (not just BMW) has much more structural frame members, with no need for large openings for front-mounted radiators.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:05 AM
New Members

My Ride: Looking for a BMW - currently own a 2013 Ford Ranger 3.2L 185HP 350ft-lb

Looks like She slammed on the brakes at the last moment sending the car into a dive.Looking at the side panels (where the bumper meets the wheel well) it almost looks like they never moved. You got off real lucky. Almost looks like a wall scrub from backing up. Very fortunate for you.

Now how did she not see you... Texting and driving I would bet. or messing with something else taking eyes off the road.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i
Model Year: 2004

Based on your pictures, your bumper really man handled that front end.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:44 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 535i X-drive 6MT M-Sport

Originally Posted by JayArras
Looking on the bright side... at least you got a knock on the door and not having gone out to discover it on your own with the culprit nowhere to be found (i.e. hit and run).

Keep us posted on what her insurance does.
This happened to me once long ago. My car was hit in the middle of the night at high speed in a 25 mph residential nehborhood. It hit my car so hard it ended up in front of my neighbors house with parts of my car and his strung out across the entire block! Followed the oil and coolant trail for about a mile after that but the police never found the car.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:02 PM
Members

After a bit of a go-round with the insurance company taking almost a month to get my check to me (was sent to a house I rent out 200 miles away), I finally have my car back. I ordered the M5 body kit and dual exhaust from Umnitza, and painted the tips a flat black. I'm leaning towards ordering a Skene license plate bracket for it since I have the plate zip tied to the front for the time being. I'm not crazy about the factory or tow hook bracket options and the holes on the Skene are at least hidden. I also need to touch the exhaust tip paint up, but that's an easy fix.
Overall I'm really happy with the look and sound of the Umnitza parts. I was concerned the exhaust wouldn't sound right, but it's just the right amount of rumble to it. Driving it around the last few days really made me remember how much I like driving it. Name:  image_7.jpeg
Views: 62
Size:  272.5 KB Name:  image_6.jpeg
Views: 67
Size:  273.6 KB Name:  image_5.jpeg
Views: 68
Size:  269.4 KB Name:  image_4.jpeg
Views: 69
Size:  248.5 KB Name:  image_3.jpeg
Views: 73
Size:  256.8 KB Name:  image_2.jpeg
Views: 81
Size:  266.8 KB Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 71
Size:  220.8 KB

Last edited by Big Tap; 01-16-2016 at 02:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Car Was Hit This Morning....