E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car Hit - Diminished Value Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, platinum gray with cream beige dakota leather, premium, sport, comfort access, navigation, heated seats, sport auto with paddles, premium sound, sat radio, ipod

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='910906' date='Jun 13 2009, 10:06 PM
I likie!!! That was a beautifuly plausible (and entirely accurate) rebuttal - brought me to tears lol! I stand pleasantly corrected (and educated)
Advancedlogic, you truly are a gentleman and a scholar.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talked to a friend this weekend about this issue (Manager of Toyota dealership for about 10 years). He pretty much backed everything I was saying before. Minor body work issues aren't going to effect the value 95% of the time. He said on avg. around 35% of the cars that they take in on trade(older then about 5 years) have had some type of paint work done on them in there lifetime. When they look over the car they can tell if it was minor or an actual accident that caused fenders, doors, etc. to be replaced. He said if its bumper cover replaced or resprayed it does nothing to the trade in value. If you live in a big city its pretty hard to drive your car for a few years and not get a scuff on the rear or front bumper was his example.

I asked how much value they put in a Carfax report and he said they use it mainly to verify a clean title. He said when they do list body repair they usually reexam the car again. There trained people once again can pretty much pinpoint what was done. If they feel it was nothing but a minor repair then they usually let it slide. If the buyer are kind of bulking on the trade in price they'll bring it up. But like I was saying before the value there showing is the same either way on something minor.

When I told him your damage was around 2K and the little head rest bags came out. He thought that 1.5K of the fix chances are just in the headrest replacement. I asked about diminished value on it and he said he isn't a lawyer but would find it quite hard/not worth the time or money for a lawyer to argue it on something as minor as your inciddent. He kind of thought even if you won or settle the case that the money you'd be awarded be so minimal that it won't even be worth anyones time to deal with it.

Your issues so you got to decide what to do in the end. But I won't expect much of anything out of it even if you won a settlement.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, platinum gray with cream beige dakota leather, premium, sport, comfort access, navigation, heated seats, sport auto with paddles, premium sound, sat radio, ipod

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='911983' date='Jun 15 2009, 08:02 AM
Talked to a friend this weekend about this issue (Manager of Toyota dealership for about 10 years). He pretty much backed everything I was saying before. Minor body work issues aren't going to effect the value 95% of the time. He said on avg. around 35% of the cars that they take in on trade(older then about 5 years) have had some type of paint work done on them in there lifetime. When they look over the car they can tell if it was minor or an actual accident that caused fenders, doors, etc. to be replaced. He said if its bumper cover replaced or resprayed it does nothing to the trade in value. If you live in a big city its pretty hard to drive your car for a few years and not get a scuff on the rear or front bumper was his example.

I asked how much value they put in a Carfax report and he said they use it mainly to verify a clean title. He said when they do list body repair they usually reexam the car again. There trained people once again can pretty much pinpoint what was done. If they feel it was nothing but a minor repair then they usually let it slide. If the buyer are kind of bulking on the trade in price they'll bring it up. But like I was saying before the value there showing is the same either way on something minor.

When I told him your damage was around 2K and the little head rest bags came out. He thought that 1.5K of the fix chances are just in the headrest replacement. I asked about diminished value on it and he said he isn't a lawyer but would find it quite hard/not worth the time or money for a lawyer to argue it on something as minor as your inciddent. He kind of thought even if you won or settle the case that the money you'd be awarded be so minimal that it won't even be worth anyones time to deal with it.

Your issues so you got to decide what to do in the end. But I won't expect much of anything out of it even if you won a settlement.
Thanks for talking with someone in the know. It's good to get the low down. I think you have a good perspective and hopefully time will confirm your theory. As for the headrests, they cost $129 in parts each and a half hour labor each, so that's about $160 per headrest x 2 accounting for $320 of the estimated $1750 to $2500 for the repair. We are still waiting on parts so we'll know how extensive the damages are once they begin. I have found an outfit in my state that provides DV estimates and tips on how to collect from the at fault insurance. I plan to see what they say before making any real investments in their advice. As for an attorney, I wouldn't use one for just a small DV claim, but there's still some medical bills, personal injury and time dealing with all this to total up. We'll just have to wait and see how cooperative the at fault insurance company is. An attorney is like a gun... don't pull one out unless you plan to use him.