E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car felt real unsettled on highway

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

2008 535xiAt about 80mph, the car felt real loose and unsettled today, especially in the curves of the highway. Straight line felt OK but still would get a strong "swaying" feeling at times.

I have multiple things going on to explain it away but not happy with the feeling at all.

1) Had a car full of 4 adults and trunk full of luggage loaded to the max.
2) I had to put my wife's 17" wheels with brand new all-season tires on the front and newish ones on the rear. (I had a couple bad wheels and tires that I couldn't replace in time)
3) Been upgrading my chassis and handling. Right now I have a larger M5 sway bar and pull-rods on the rear and nothing new on the front. Stock suspension.

any thoughts on something more specific than others that probably caused such a loose front end? I didn't like it all

This is the first time I have had such a full trunk of luggage so I am assuming that was my problem for now. This is an xi so no dynamic suspension of any kind.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

first thing i'd check is the tire pressures.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Are the front and rear tires the same brand and model with just mileage difference?
Did you compensate for the full load by increasing the psi? I have had my 2008 535i with four adults and a full trunk and have expereinced none of your problems; but, I significantly increased the psi for the trip.
I have experienced your problems when one or more tires has a lot less air than the others. I can't comment on the other changes you have made.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:45 AM
Members

Xi's have no sports suspension. So with load it will sway. Upgrade the shocks or buy coils to fix. I have an Xi with sports package and whenever I drive spirited I have to really counteract the bodyroll with just myself in the car.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:45 AM
Members

Xi's have no sports suspension. So with load it will sway. Upgrade the shocks or buy coils to fix. I have an Xi with sports package and whenever I drive spirited I have to really counteract the bodyroll with just myself in the car.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

what was the cross winds like. You do know that our cars handle like yatchs in the wind.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
Are the front and rear tires the same brand and model with just mileage difference?
Did you compensate for the full load by increasing the psi? I have had my 2008 535i with four adults and a full trunk and have expereinced none of your problems; but, I significantly increased the psi for the trip.
I have experienced your problems when one or more tires has a lot less air than the others. I can't comment on the other changes you have made.
yep - same tires. The rear ones measured almost new tread depth so I was able to keep them with my new set even with AWD.

Good thought on the tire pressure - i'll check that out and raise it a bit before I hit the road again.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Pitch Black
KW V3s was on my list until I "had" to get the new wheels earlier than anticipated. I think your right - being able to adjust the suspension should make a big difference in these situations too.

These kinds of road trips and luggage for me has always been in the mini van so maybe the affect on the handling is just a little more un-expected to me in a car.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
what was the cross winds like. You do know that our cars handle like yatchs in the wind.
Wind was OK, but I know what you mean. Passing semis and buses really pushed me over a few times coming past their front bumper
Old 06-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
Wind was OK, but I know what you mean. Passing semis and buses really pushed me over a few times coming past their front bumper
went on a 1300 mile round trip and after a few times getting nudged over by the big rigs wind id just steer slightly against it....but I can tell you the car should never feel unsettled under normal conditions, maybe its the combination of to many changes , ex. different tires/sway bar in the back only/lots of weight in the car, full load max will do it. How did the car feel on the way back?? or since??

Quick Reply: Car felt real unsettled on highway