E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Allen
Maybe I don't understand (very possible)...but, if it's cranking...then the starter is ok isn't it?? The starter's job is to turn the engine over until it ignites...correct?
The part of the starter that is not functioning in this situation is called the solenoid. This is what failed in my starter.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill
Yes, I'd like to hear this one too.....because if the engine turns over (cranks) then how can it be a faulty starter.......they can, and do get stuck on the ring gear of the flywheel but in that instant all you get is a click.
+1 I agree with Phil again on this one, if the starter turns (and is turning at normal crank speed) then it shouldnt be your starter. Typically if a starter fails, all you get is the pin hitting the flywheel and no turn of the engine. Maybe your ignition coil??? It use to be you could hold the spark plug wire a 1/2" from the spark plug on one of the cylinders just to see if youre getting a spark, but with the CPU that controls our e60's I wouldnt try that.

As for the sound you hear at wake up, i highly doubt thats the fuel pump you hear, sounds to me like you have an SMG transmission???? Mine does that too at wake up, however everyone told me thats the hydralic pump for the SMG I hear.

Keep us posted, as I am curious about the outcome on this one!
Old 04-12-2010, 05:56 AM
Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N54

I am still totally at a loss here on what is wrong.

I know a bad starter solenoid would cause the starter to not spin and this isn't my issue. The car NEARLY started after sitting for 2 days yesterday for a split second when I first tried and then it just cranks and cranks but will not start.

I've read on here numerous times that when the car 'wakes up' the buzzing sound under the hood is the priming of the fuel pump. (A noise I DO here.)

Do I have an SMG transmission? I have the same normal automatic transmission that anyone with an 04-05 M54 engine has.

Could it be a bad ignition coil? Do those go bad? Even if a spark plug was missing wouldn't the car at least start? And misfire?

I've been told if I got some starting fluid and sprayed it under the air filter and the car almost started that it is indeed a fuel issue? Is this correct?

What should I troubleshoot next? I don't really want to get the car towed from my driveway if I could indeed fix any normal to moderately difficult issue myself.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

The car needs to be scanned to see if there are any trouble codes. One bad ignition coil will not prevent the car from starting. It will run poorly once running, though.

If the car almost started with a little bit of ether, then it sounds like it could be a fuel related issue. Be very cautious on the amount of starting fluid you use. You could easily damage the internal components of the engine.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:55 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

What's the betting it's your fuel pump. Put your VIN in http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do & look in fuel supply to see details.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by brianstash
My 04 530i won't start. It cranks but won't turn over and start. I thought the battery was going bad and replaced it but still won't start.

I can't hear the fuel pump on and can hear that buzzing sound under the hood and near the gas tank (I think).

Note: I did change the spark plugs, air filter, microfilters on Saturday afternoon. Started it, even drove it 4 hours on Sunday and started it Monday too. Come yesterday morning the car will not start. (And the CPO just ran out and it's in my driveway.)

Ideas where to start? Bad fuel? Bad fuel filter? Bad fuel pump? (I'm off in the morning to buy some starting fluid to see what that will do for me.)
Without adequate tools, it will be adequate tools it will be hard to positively diagnose your cueent issues. The current mileage of your vehicle would help us in blindly guessing a failing part. Better Yet, if a OBD2 or diagnostic scanner was available, scanning your vehicle for codes would always help as a hard or soft code that is present may point you in a general direction to look for the problem(s). The fact that your vehicle cranks hints that your issues aren't going to be battery related, nor would it be a starter issue. Without a second opinion there to actually double check your recent work, i could only advise you to recheck your conections as something may have come loose during your 4 hour drive, however plausible it may sound. If you feel confident that everything has been reinstalled the way it should be, the next easiest thing to do is to check for fuel. Spray a flamable fluid ( brake kleen ) into the intake trac ( no more than 3-4 second bursts) while someone else is cranking the vehicle, does is more than almost want to start? (yes = there may be an isuue with your fuel delivery. No = next your going to have to take out all your spark plugs and recheck the gap. Keep in mind I'm still trying to keep this within your abilty level, as the next few step will be very tedious and require specialized tools. If spark plug gaps are within spec, then you're going to have to ohm/ resistance check your coils packs in on koeon /off positions. If coils packs have been diangnosed to be connected properly and operating within specs, another area could be your cam and crank sensors which do go out with age and are fairly common on the 3.0 engine. If you feel compelled to complete this tasks I can pull up location and specs for you to test. We all hope you simply missed a cinnection somewhere as it would be the SIMPLEST solution. on another note, do you have enough GAS in your vehicle, I've repaored quite a few e46's that had faulty fuel/sending unit readings. I suspect that this route may have a high level of possibilty, since you drove your car for 4 hours without a problem, after your maintenance routines. The sending units, and fuel pump is actually 1 unit, and they do go out anywhere from 60k miles - 120k. Conditions vary. Check all the above mentioned, come back and report your findings. Goodluck, and PM or reply if any futher advice is required.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by sdg1871
The part of the starter that is not functioning in this situation is called the solenoid. This is what failed in my starter.
If the engine is turning over when you start the car then the solenoid is working properly. If I remember correctly - your car wouldn't turn at all or you only heard a click.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by brianstash
My 04 530i won't start. It cranks but won't turn over and start. I thought the battery was going bad and replaced it but still won't start.

I can't hear the fuel pump on and can hear that buzzing sound under the hood and near the gas tank (I think).

Note: I did change the spark plugs, air filter, microfilters on Saturday afternoon. Started it, even drove it 4 hours on Sunday and started it Monday too. Come yesterday morning the car will not start. (And the CPO just ran out and it's in my driveway.)

Ideas where to start? Bad fuel? Bad fuel filter? Bad fuel pump? (I'm off in the morning to buy some starting fluid to see what that will do for me.)
Don't you have to have the dealer "reprogram" your car whenever you install a new battery?

If the car ran fine for several days after you changed the plugs then I doubt its anything in the ignition circuit.

If you can, check the fuel pressure with a guage. Check your fuses too.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

Don't you have to have the dealer "reprogram" your car whenever you install a new battery?

Battery adaptations are recommended to extend the service life of the new battery, however they do not cause any error lights. Most people choose to bypass this process due to costs as a capable dianostic tool is required.

If the car ran fine for several days after you changed the plugs then I doubt its anything in the ignition circuit.

Not neccessarily true, if improper plugs / incorrect gap were installed the ecessive amp required to fire the plugs will actually burn out your coils packs, remember his cars an 04, we could only guess the contidtions it has previously seen.

If you can, check the fuel pressure with a guage. Check your fuses too.

Fuses are always a good place to check before anything else, and a fuel pressure gauge set would provide the most accurate diagnosis, too bad auto zone doesn't have fuel pressure gauges under thier tool loaners program.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

my starter shit the bed at around 70k miles as well very similar symptoms. Doesn't hurt to have it looked at.

Quick Reply: Car cranks but won't start