E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The car cant stop!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got mine 2007 530xi 2 weeks ago and the car went in service for a week about transmission slam, sunroof noise and some other minor problems. Got my car back yesterday and today something serious happened. today the car failed to fully stop before a red light under DS mode,even though i pressed on the brake, the car is still rolling forward at a very slow speed. The speed is 20-30mph when i press the brake, therefore i am not doing any hard braking. I switched back to the regular D mode, then the brake is working again. This almost got me into an accident with the incoming traffic. After the incident, the "service engine soon" light came on, but other than that, the car is normal. Does any one of you know what went wrong? Thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Contributors

wow. that is a "holy-sh*t" type of problem. I would take that in right away. that could be a VERY expensive lawsuit for BMW. I am sure they be willing to fix it.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

One time i was reaching for my eye drops in my pocket and i moved my body posture slightly and while doing so my foot was barely on the gas pedal as i was braking and i was not able to come to a complete stop or the floor mats can get caught over the gas pedal
Old 07-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by NoName545i' post='940397' date='Jul 12 2009, 10:36 PM
One time i was reaching for my eye drops in my pocket and i moved my body posture slightly and while doing so my foot was barely on the gas pedal as i was braking and i was not able to come to a complete stop or the floor mats can get caught over the gas pedal
At first, i thought it was the floor mat too. I checked it and it was not even close with the gas pedal. I press the brake to slow the car down and it did slow down. But it just cant stop completely and continue rolling forward into the intersection. Got tons of honking from income traffic as they thought me trying to ran the red light lol
Old 07-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by srx2870' post='940400' date='Jul 12 2009, 10:40 PM
At first, i thought it was the floor mat too. I checked it and it was not even close with the gas pedal. I press the brake to slow the car down and it did slow down. But it just cant stop completely and continue rolling forward into the intersection. Got tons of honking from income traffic as they thought me trying to ran the red light lol
I believe 'NoName545i' is referring to floor mat getting under brake pedal which might prevent the brake engaging fully.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by srx2870' post='940400' date='Jul 13 2009, 04:40 AM
This sounds very much like normal automatic "creep". You do know that when it's in gear an automatic will always creep forward slowly, so you have to keep your foot on the brake. It's not like a manual box where if your foot is on the clutch, and the road is even/flat, then it won't move. An automatic will always move forward without a foot on the brake.

It's probably not this, you've no doubt had the car for a while and are thinking 'how dumb does this guy think I am'.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by srx2870' post='940387' date='Jul 12 2009, 10:13 PM
Just got mine 2007 530xi 2 weeks ago and the car went in service for a week about transmission slam, sunroof noise and some other minor problems. Got my car back yesterday and today something serious happened. today the car failed to fully stop before a red light under DS mode,even though i pressed on the brake, the car is still rolling forward at a very slow speed. The speed is 20-30mph when i press the brake, therefore i am not doing any hard braking. I switched back to the regular D mode, then the brake is working again. This almost got me into an accident with the incoming traffic. After the incident, the "service engine soon" light came on, but other than that, the car is normal. Does any one of you know what went wrong? Thanks
wow hope it gets fixed.. but are you 100% sure that its not braking correctly? nothings stuck... or in the way of the pedal.. this happened once while my husband was driving our audi.. racing some moron on father cappadano blvd mind you.. we couldnt brake. he started freaking out.. then i did too.. turned out it was the rubber floor mat pressing on the gas.. what a friggen relief, but you should check it out nonetheless and make sure. you dont want to cause a serious accident.. good luck
Old 07-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

So that was you!!
Just kidding. That's really scary! Try stopping again in D/S in a secluded place, just to see if it's a consistent problem. Either way, let a professional take a look at it.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Contributors

I just experienced that problem last week, the dealer replaced the brake booster, master cylinder. I hope that helps.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I'm assuming that you texted this while the car was in motion then??? Good luck with the repairs!

Quick Reply: The car cant stop!