5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   car alarm randomly going off? (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/car-alarm-randomly-going-off-82797/)

tex_phil 08-04-2009 03:31 PM

So when I lock my car it no longer does the beeps when I press the button. Now since I've gotten home, my alarm will randomly go off. What the hell is causing that?

Rudy 08-04-2009 04:21 PM

Do you keep your keys in your back pocket (or otherwise wear tight pants?) :whistle:

luigi524td 08-04-2009 04:34 PM

Check the "eye" in your car battery; It should be "green" (= good charge). My Roadster did that when the battery was insufficiently charged.

tex_phil 08-04-2009 06:38 PM

Its acting all strange, I just got home, and my lights stayed on even though its in the off position. Even when I locked it and no beep.

tex_phil 08-04-2009 07:59 PM

anyone else with any ideas?

whonneb 08-04-2009 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='965884' date='Aug 4 2009, 10:59 PM
anyone else with any ideas?

+1 on the battery. My E39 use to go off all the time and I change the battery and that fixed the problem. The same thing happened to my aunt's e46. Changed the battery or have it checked.

jprovence 08-04-2009 08:15 PM

Mine kinda does the same thing. I have disconnected the hood switch and I don't seem to be having any more problems. I even have the whole car updated in June and it still does it. I think its a faulty hood switch. Best thing would be to have the dealer test the alarm and tell you what is wrong and hope for something easy that you can replace yourself. Other wise, if you need to lock your doors, close both front doors, go back in the rear doors and lock the car from the inside. This will lock the car without arming the alarm.

DRANGED 08-04-2009 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='965794' date='Aug 4 2009, 09:38 PM
Its acting all strange, I just got home, and my lights stayed on even though its in the off position. Even when I locked it and no beep.

Sounds like you have a bad/intermittent door, hood or trunk switch. Car thinks one of the doors, hood or trunk is open which is why the interior lights stay on and the car does not beep when you arm the alarm.

If one of the switches was intermittent, it would randomly trigger the alarm as well. :thumbsup:

whonneb 08-05-2009 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='965954' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:47 PM
Sounds like you have a bad/intermittent door, hood or trunk switch. Car thinks one of the doors, hood or trunk is open which is why the interior lights stay on and the car does not beep when you arm the alarm.

If one of the switches was intermittent, it would randomly trigger the alarm as well. :thumbsup:

I would say if it was just the alarm, then I would agree with the hood switch, but the fact that he has both alarm and malfuctioning lights still point to the battery

tex_phil 08-05-2009 06:14 AM

I was reading on some other BMW forums earlier, and a majority of the people with different BMW's all mention that hood switch as well. When I got to work just now I locked the door with the key in handle and it beeped. So I guess anytime it doesnt beep its waiting for the hood switch to kick in but since its faulty it doesnt work. Just like you can arm the car but it wont beep until the trunk is closed.