E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can't see signal turn indicators on dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone find the placement of signal turn indicators in E60 akward, or is it just me?

I've switched to E60 from E46 recently and I'm having problems seeing my signal turn indicator. Especially when your music is a little bit louder, you don't hear it and because of the indicator placement and the thick M-style steering wheel, the wheel covers the area of signal turn indicator.

I often find myself having signal turn enabled, driving half a mile with it and noticing later. I certainly must look like an idiot.

I've tried various seat positions and steering wheel positions but nothing helps, while being sit comfortably. Note that I do not lay in the car (I would see it clearly that way). I actually try to follow the safe sitting guidelines.

See the image, the sporty grip-thingies on "ten to two o'clock" are especially the cause of this problem.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DominikB
Anyone find the placement of signal turn indicators in E60 akward, or is it just me?

I've switched to E60 from E46 recently and I'm having problems seeing my signal turn indicator. Especially when your music is a little bit louder, you don't hear it and because of the indicator placement and the thick M-style steering wheel, the wheel covers the area of signal turn indicator.

I often find myself having signal turn enabled, driving half a mile with it and noticing later. I certainly must look like an idiot.

I've tried various seat positions and steering wheel positions but nothing helps, while being sit comfortably. Note that I do not lay in the car (I would see it clearly that way). I actually try to follow the safe sitting guidelines.

See the image, the sporty grip-thingies on "ten to two o'clock" are especially the cause of this problem.
I can't say anything about you looking like an idiot........ but I too have the same problem. In most any comfortable wheel position the 10+2 spots are perfectly placed to cover the indicators.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

Thanks!

To me, this is a major design flaw. What they were thinking?
Old 10-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Members

are you simply too tall?
someone who would be bothered by this should spring for the heads up display, which can be configured to show the turn indicators
Old 10-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I can't see them either, but it doesn't really bother me. I just figure it's because I am 6'4" and my seating position and steering wheel position make it impossible.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrbimmer
are you simply too tall?
someone who would be bothered by this should spring for the heads up display, which can be configured to show the turn indicators
That's not the case with the 2005 HUD at least, and afaik no HUD can be configured as such. Mine is limited to NAV, Cruise Control/active cruise warnings, and speed. I believe the M5 adds a tachometer and that's it - someone else can confirm.

It's not really because I'm too tall (I'm 5'8), if I wanted to drive with my legs more stretched out it could probably work, but I am most comfortable with my knees slightly bent.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Members

My Ride: Current rides: 2011 Z4 35i MSport DCT (pictures coming) 2010 535i MSport 2008K1200GT (Sold) 2001 541i MSport (Sold) 2007 Z4 Coupe

Well, I'm 5"10 and can't see mine either. Ridiculous.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:51 AM
JMC
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5, Silverstone II/Black

Originally Posted by jrbimmer
are you simply too tall?
Actually the HUD doesn't show turn indicators. Can't be done.

To the OP, it's not just you, I have difficulty seeing them as well.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i (Sport, Prem, Nav, Logic7, Comf. Seats) Black on Black

me too. I am 6' even, I have actually changed the way I use the turn signal. I usually just flick it up or down so it only blinks for 3 seconds or so.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

I have the same issue but I really don't need to see them, for lane changes I just use the triple indicator function, so there's really no reason for me to check if they're still blinking, they blink three times and stop, if for some reason I didn't make my move, I just hit it again. For turns I hit it all the way and once the trun is complete, they go off.

Quick Reply: Can't see signal turn indicators on dashboard