E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

cant open car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe someone here has had similiar issues. got out of may car, locked it and immediately tried to unlock it...nothing. no alarm chime, no locks opening. trunk wont open either and the valet key in the fob wont open the car door. am i wrong, shouldnt the small valet key open the door? i thought maybe the key fob battery is dead but how the hell do i get into my ride now??? please help, thanx.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:14 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Which key do you have?

http://www.techdigest.tv/bmw-car-key...mb-400x256.jpg

or

http://www.bototech.com/upload/produ...0BMW%20key.jpg

Is it the original key that came with the car?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

I have an 06' It's the first one you listed, the key frob.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by twh
Which key do you have?

http://www.techdiges...umb-400x256.jpg

or

http://www.bototech....20BMW%20key.jpg

Is it the original key that came with the car?
i have the first one. it has a valet key that i thought would open the door. to be honest i dont think i ever tried to use it before. not sure whats going on. i have a spare key but its in my house and im 20 miles away. not sure if it has that type of range.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by pgetsch
i have the first one. it has a valet key that i thought would open the door. to be honest i dont think i ever tried to use it before. not sure whats going on. i have a spare key but its in my house and im 20 miles away. not sure if it has that type of range.
I read this on an email - not sure if it will work but its worth a try:

Call your house from your cellphone and get someone there to press the unlock button at their phone mic. At the same time put your cell on speaker and point the speaker at the car. the idea is that the frequency will travel over the phone connection and will unlock your car.

If it works - we can discuss compensation
Old 02-16-2010, 11:52 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pukka

Call your house from your cellphone and get someone there to press the unlock button at their phone mic. At the same time put your cell on speaker and point the speaker at the car. the idea is that the frequency will travel over the phone connection and will unlock your car.

That might work if it was acoustic. It is RF and that isn't going to make it through cell phone audio.

I have an early US model 530xi 2006 build (June 2005) with the N52 engine. I have the old style key and not the rectangular key fob.

But, my wife has a 2009 X5 with the rectangular key fob and no comfort access. I just locked the car with the button and was able to take out the small old style key piece from the fob and it both locks and unlocks the car via the drivers door. When you turn the key you can feel it work the mechanism.

Does you key physically go in?
Does it turn right or left?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Contributors

i just got the car open. the valet key opened up the driver door (it didnt before, maybe i was just cold and frustrated ) got in and started the car. heard the unlock chime and it was fine from there. i did notice the time and date needed to be reset so i think it may have been just one of the infamous computer glitches that were all used to. as for the cellphone trick. im going to try that later today anyway and let you know if it work. thats a awesome trick if it does.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by twh
That might work if it was acoustic. It is RF and that isn't going to make it through cell phone audio.
The only difference between "accoustics" or sound and a key fob transmitter is the frequency. Its all RF. The only question is what the frequency range of the cellphone mic is. If the high end goes above 400Mhz, then its possible this could work.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:28 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

The only difference between "accoustics" or sound and a key fob transmitter is the frequency. Its all RF. The only question is what the frequency range of the cellphone mic is. If the high end goes above 400Mhz, then its possible this could work.
It is more complicated than that. Acoustic waves and RF waves are different. Acoustic waves must have a medium to travel - typically air or water. Acoustic waves cannot travel in a vacuum. Acoustic waves travel at approximately 768 mph in air. RF waves are electromagnetic waves. They can travel in a vacuum. They travel at the speed of light.

The cell phone microphone is not going to pick up an RF signal. And, the cell phone speaker cannot generate an RF signal.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i '01 IS300

Your battery is dying or you have electrical problems. I've had the exact same thing happen. There was an electrical problem that cause the battery to leak. Once it gets to a certain level, the car goes into lock down mode. NOTHING you do with the key will work. Not even using the mechanical key.

Quick Reply: cant open car!!!