E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can't get second key to start car

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just joined this forum and find the articles very helpful! thanks everyone!

I have just purchased through a bmw dealership a bmw certified 545i and absolutely love it (my dream car).
However, the second central key will not start my car! It will remotely do all of the functions such as unlocking my doors and opening the trunk as well as manually unlocking the doors and steering column, but when I try to start the car..nothing happens! The other two keys work fine. I can't find anything in the owner's manual about this.

I have tried calling the bmw dealership which I purchased the car through but they said I have to bring the car in. The trouble is I had the car shipped 1,000 miles from the dealership I purchased it from and the closest dealer is a 3 hr drive from here. Does anybody know if there is something simple I can do from home?

Thanks
Old 11-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

I don't see why you can't take your car to the nearest dealership. They should be able to help you out.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Unfortunately, not too much you can do. The dealer needs to pair the key to the car, so that the immobiliser circuit will recognise it and allow it to start the engine. To do this it needs to have both the key AND the car. But any dealer can do it, not just the one where you bought the car.

Nothing but a 6 hour drive next weekend - turn it into something special if you just can (choose the twisty route on the way out; book a nice restaurant for a meal with your significant other; go away for the whole weekend). Or drive with one "remote" key + the valet key until you need to get to the dealer for something else. Sorry.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by markk' post='355705' date='Nov 13 2006, 05:59 PM
I have just joined this forum and find the articles very helpful! thanks everyone!

I have just purchased through a bmw dealership a bmw certified 545i and absolutely love it (my dream car).
However, the second central key will not start my car! It will remotely do all of the functions such as unlocking my doors and opening the trunk as well as manually unlocking the doors and steering column, but when I try to start the car..nothing happens! The other two keys work fine. I can't find anything in the owner's manual about this.

I have tried calling the bmw dealership which I purchased the car through but they said I have to bring the car in. The trouble is I had the car shipped 1,000 miles from the dealership I purchased it from and the closest dealer is a 3 hr drive from here. Does anybody know if there is something simple I can do from home?

Thanks
I guess there is not much I can do from here.

I would expect a purchase directly from the BMW dealer with a BMW certified car that they would make sure that all the keys start the car first!! I guess it's not part of their "bmw certified inspection". grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Orient Blue

It's just one of those annoying things. They probably overlooked it since the other keys worked. I'd make a weekend out of it. Good luck and welcome!
Old 11-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Members

BMW can make you a key with the chip programmed to your car by your VIN. The key can be shipped to you. Then, they can give you the instructions on how to program the remotes (both remotes have to be programmed at the same time). It can be very easy..if they cooperate. And based on the fact it was their error, they should accommodate you. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Chuck W.' post='355809' date='Nov 13 2006, 10:46 PM
BMW can make you a key with the chip programmed to your car by your VIN. The key can be shipped to you. Then, they can give you the instructions on how to program the remotes (both remotes have to be programmed at the same time). It can be very easy..if they cooperate. And based on the fact it was their error, they should accommodate you. Good luck.
Thanks Chuck!

I'll speak again to the dealership tomorrow and ask them if they can cooperate!

What a great forum!
Old 11-18-2006, 09:42 AM
Members

Mark....Did they take care of you?
Old 11-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by markk' post='355814' date='Nov 14 2006, 04:59 AM
Thanks Chuck!

I'll speak again to the dealership tomorrow and ask them if they can cooperate!

What a great forum!
The dealers is the place.

A car always has to have two keys.

The key itself is very expensive and can be programmed only by the dealer.

The key has a battery (accumulator) which is charged when it's in the key hole,
(so there is no battery that can be changed).

It could be, that this second key has never been used and the charge is gone.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should try this: leave the key into the key hole with the switch to second position (on) for half an hour.
Maybe that way, it will get some power (thus data from car) and make it start working

Quick Reply: Can't get second key to start car