E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can't find a definitive answer...despite search

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 02:40 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525I
Model Year: 2004

I recently bought a BMW 525i 2004, it only has 115k on the car an its well taken care of, a few weeks before I got it the old owner had misfire codes so some shop they took it to replaced plugs then told her that tranny needed to be serviced tho there was never code having anything to do with tranny. the only thing it does do is when taking off from slow speed/ full stop an car gets to around 30-45mph & 15-2k rpms its got a slight hesitation, it feels kinda like a slip but u can tell its not because tranny actually shifts fine. when issue happens rpm will bounce from 15k to 2k then back down, if I let off gas for a sec the issue stops when I press gas again, I thought a cleaning solution would help so I added the chevron with tachyon fuel injector cleaner and problem went away for a few hours but then came back, now instead of just bouncing between 15k-20k the rpmsreach that same spot then act as tho the injectors are trying to clean themselves out because u can feel car getting more power each time rpm raise until it shifts into next gear an stops, before it was like rpm stayed between 15-20k until I let off gas n hit again now rpm still have weird issue but it don't stop at 20k it continues rising just not smoothly.. could this be caused by a bad/old battery?
Old 05-13-2018, 06:06 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

I have exactly the same model as you.
My reeves would rise and fall when I was driving especially when I was around 1500!to 2000

It was my transmission fluid not being 100% full

I was searching everything but the problems were caused by the transmission not operating correctly

One other cause could be your exhaust air sensors but my guess is your fluid level
Old 05-20-2018, 11:32 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525I
Model Year: 2004

In the beginning I thought it may have been something like that as well until someone suggestion that the injectors maybe be dirty or clogged. Thinking what harm could it cause, if anything it may help the issue, I bought a chevron with tachyon injector cleaner as well as the entire fuel system cleaner added the entire system cleaner first then drove around till I went thur gas, filled with the injector cleaner added and drove. Almost the entire time that I was driving with the cleaners running thru my system the car didn't really have the issue at all, the times that it did while running cleaners the issue had gotten noticeably better now instead of reaching spot & revs slowly bouncing from 15-20k they reached the spot & bounced up then leveled out then up a lil more then lil more till around 25-28k[I maybe off a lil +\- on this number I can't remember 100%] then they went back to normal shifting & running thru the gears like there wasn't any problem at all. If it was something with the tyranny would adding the chevron stuff into the gas really have made any difference or noticeable change at all?

*2-3 days after the above a friend told me if it was still doing it to add some stuff to the gas called seafoam, I had never heard of it but it did have good reviews & results so I ran almost a full tank of clean gas thru so it could flush any of the previous cleaners that maybe left in the system anywhere, I then added some gas & the seafoam stuff and it honestly made the whole car feel like it was less sluggish, maybe not that it had more power but that giving it that power was more responsive. this was yesterday so I can't say how it will drive today yet but will post an update later on

*is it possible to check tranny fluid level myself without many tools? Also just for reference what's a good fluid to add to it and/or any cleaners or whatever additives there are out there are good/ok to run through our cars?