E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cannot fit Non run flats on my 530d Se?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 05:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Aug 04 530d in Silver Grey

I have been involved in quite a heated dispute with my local BMW dealer, BMW UK and Dunlop Tyres over the last two weeks, and it has become very clear that I am getting absolutely nowhere. The issue is about my 17? Dunlop runflats that are completely worn all round after 15,000 miles The rears I can accept, but the fronts are in far worse condition than the rears!!!

Anyway, I am getting no satisfaction from anyone, so I decided to get some regular tyres, as I am disgusted with my experience of these runflats. This morning I went to my local ATS Euromaster Tyre centre who has told me that they will not fit regular tyres to my car. I asked why and they said that the suspension was set-up for run flats only. I protested a bit, and they rang their Technical centre who confirmed this. The guy then said he could not fit regular tyres and that I had to fit run-flats!!! I believe this to be nonsense ? can anyone confirm this? My tyres size is 225/50/17 and my car has normal suspension, not sports.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ianmcc' post='255112' date='Mar 15 2006, 02:34 PM
I believe this to be nonsense ? can anyone confirm this?
You believe correctly. If you search the forum you will find a lot of other people have swapped run flats for normal tyres.

I bought my car secondhand and it does not have runflats.

I would also agree that it is odd that the front tyres would go before the rear. My experience is that with BMW's it is generally the other way round.

To put it in perspective the original tyres on my last car (an e46 coupe) were about 1/3 worn on the front and 1/2 worn on the back when I got shot of it after 45,000miles / 18 months.

The 530d wheelspins a LOT more than my 320cd did, so I don't expect to get more than 20k miles from the back, but I WOULD still expect 30-40K on the front.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:46 AM
Senior Members

This is total #%&@.

There are probably 25 - 50 people on this forum (including myself) who have made the switch from run-flat to normal tyres with no problems, only improvements.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

switched also for the summer tires They have no clue :thumbsdown:
Old 03-15-2006, 06:19 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 520d M sport Touring Titanium Silver Media Package Privacy Glass

I have spoken to BMW directly on this matter as i was concerned that they may try to get out of a future warranty claim if i fitted regular tyres to my 18" run flat rims.

The first line was no, you can't fit non run flats.

The second more technical line was that yes you can at your own risk and it wouldn't affect any warrenty claim save the tyres themselves

I have experienced exactly the same response as you from my local ATS/kwik fit "experts" who claim it cannot be done.

Well i'm no expert but from info i've picked up on here and other forums the run flats have to be fitted to a special design of rim which i believe has an extra wide seating area for for the thicker run flat wall to sit on and if deflated roll against without detaching from the rim, however the standard rim profile at the outer reaches of the wheel rim is the same as a regular wheel so regular tyres can be fitted.
Even some indi's are getting this wrong but if you track one down that knows there stuff he will i'm sure give you some reasurrance.
Also i understand that as the tyre pressure warning system works on comparing the rolling radius of the tyre and not a signal within the tyre chamber itself TPM will continue to work to alert you of slow deflations but obviously not blow outs .Well actually it will but in the event i think you will be concentrating on other issues!!
Theres a lot of posts about the early wear of these Dunlop RF's around.

have you tried www.mytyres.co.uk - a web based company with nominated dealers, there very good.

The final decision i guess is yours but so many seem to have done it sucessfully as has already been said.

I just wondered if any of the top end aftermarket wheel manufacturers produce rims for run flats. Perhaps they could shed some independant technical light on the issue.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:29 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

My dealer was clear, there is no problem fitting non runflats.

I have and I am happy - 225/50/17 Goodyears. on normal suspension.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

That is totaly ?@#&## !!!

I have my RFT came w the car, no for the winter I have regulars, and plan to switch to bigger shoes (20s).
My dealer is putting on his M5 21"s no issues, they are crazy but I do not my friend how you could persuade them, maybe call BMW AG

If I did not wanted the RFT I could get normal tires w stock rims 134 style, I wanted teh 116 w RFT and the price was penauts so I got them, but will burn them on track and put new shoes on, wheather they recommend or not, who cares But my dealer had no offence, he did the same GOOD LUCK to you!
Old 03-15-2006, 06:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KAF' post='255142' date='Mar 15 2006, 03:29 PM
My dealer was clear, there is no problem fitting non runflats.

I have and I am happy - 225/50/17 Goodyears. on normal suspension.
Same here. Dealer was more than happy to fit them! In fact the representative made the comment that the ride would be far better!
Old 03-15-2006, 07:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d M-Sport / Silver Grey / Maple Wood / Black Dakota Leather / Heated Comfort Seats / Media Pack With Extended Voice Control / Space Saver Spare Wheel / Sun Protection Glass

ATS are correct. Only runflat tyres have been homologated in that size for the E60. Any tyre fitter worth knowing will be aware of this and as such will not happily fit a non-runflat tyre to your car. This does not mean that it is not physically posssible to fit a normal tyre or that there would not be an improvement in ride, handling and tyre life with them. But the fact that they have not been homologated means that the tyre fitter accepts some responsibility for possible problems. Having worked in the tyre industry for 12 years in a previous life I can bear witness to small variations in otherwise identical tyres making a massive difference to tyre life and handling. When you fit tyres of a completely different construction who knows what the problems could be?

On a footnote the life of OEM tyres is short because of the type of rubber used on the tread. It has a specially low rolling resistance to reduce CO2 emissions specifically for the Californian, German, Scandinavian and Britich markets. A tyre bought at a tyre store may look identical, but may well be very different inside. This is less the case with the runflats as there are very few different manufacturers using them. When I worked in the industry, one tyre we produced had identicall moulds and therefore identical exterior aspect but at least 15 different permutations of rubber type and steel belt thickness and angle. That was just at one factory, the same tyre was probably produces at 20 other factories with identical moulds but very different manufacturing methods! Their lives and handling characteristics we very different. In all cases though a minimum life of 25k miles was deemed acceptable.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

Funnily enough, while my car was in for service a couple of weeks ago (Sytner, Nottingham), my service rep called me to tell me I had the "wrong" tyres fitted to my car.

Not wanting to have a protracted and fruitless argument with him about the merits or otherwise of RFT/non-RFT's I just told him I had cleared it with BMW UK and they said it was OK to do it.

I kind of understand your point, Nevermind. But the fact that this particular size hasn't been officially "approved" by BMW is more down to laziness isn't it?

After all they ship the E60 with a non-RFT 16" option (same suspension that I and others have), and the M-division are happy to put 19" non-RFT's on their model.

Quick Reply: Cannot fit Non run flats on my 530d Se?