E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cannot close passenger window, rolls back down

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i.

I have a 2004 525i, very low miles (16k), and very randomly when I ?roll up? the windows, the passenger window starts normally, but 2 inches from the top it reverses direction and goes back down. I cannot make it stay up; this goes on forever. When this happens, I am the only one in the car, all the doors are shut, and the car is in P with the engine running. I read or heard something about a lock out protection and doing something like this, but I couldn?t find it in the manual. When my car does this, the only thing I can do is stop the engine, get out and lock the car with the key, hold it and wait for all the windows and the sunroof to shut. Then it?s fine. Can someone help me? Is this a bug or a feature? If it is a feature what needs to be met to close the window? I get a little frustrated with this. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Contributors

I just had this problem a few weeks ago. All the SA did was turn the car on and hold the the window button down for a few seconds...maybe 10? The computer reset itself.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:52 AM
Members

I had 3 visits to the dealer to resolve a similar problem with the right hand window. you might find that if you hold your finger on the button it will actually close giving a fault on idrive.

Problem is related to door seals and/or driver motor, I think first time they changed seals on my door eventually changing motor, can't recall now though.

If it's in warranty I'd hassle the dealer to fix it, known fault as far as I'm aware.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

This is simply solved by clicking the button that rolls down the window...hold till the window reaches the end for about 10sec, then repressing the window button up all the way untill it reaches the top and hold for 10 sec.. Thiis should give the car its window limts for the auto function.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by rszenti' post='410380' date='Apr 4 2007, 11:04 PM
I have a 2004 525i, very low miles (16k), and very randomly when I ?roll up? the windows, the passenger window starts normally, but 2 inches from the top it reverses direction and goes back down. I cannot make it stay up; this goes on forever. When this happens, I am the only one in the car, all the doors are shut, and the car is in P with the engine running. I read or heard something about a lock out protection and doing something like this, but I couldn?t find it in the manual. When my car does this, the only thing I can do is stop the engine, get out and lock the car with the key, hold it and wait for all the windows and the sunroof to shut. Then it?s fine. Can someone help me? Is this a bug or a feature? If it is a feature what needs to be met to close the window? I get a little frustrated with this. Thanks.
This is a common problem, you just have to reset the automatic windows. Hold button is up position until window gets to the top and then keep holding button in up position. Then hold button down until window opens completly and keep holding for a few seconds. Should be reset, check by pressing up until window moves and then leave go, window should close by itself.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i.

Originally Posted by gabman' post='410453' date='Apr 5 2007, 05:15 AM
This is a common problem, you just have to reset the automatic windows. Hold button is up position until window gets to the top and then keep holding button in up position. Then hold button down until window opens completly and keep holding for a few seconds. Should be reset, check by pressing up until window moves and then leave go, window should close by itself.

Thanks for all the replies and the advice. I did the holding for ten seconds in both up and down position. Now it works fine. I hope it will stay this way.