E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Canadian BMW Advanced Driving class

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

Hi

Has anyone taken the Advanced Driving class in Toronto (http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/insights/dri..._training.html).

It's held at the Toronto Congress Centre on Dixon Rd. I don't see a track or large space where the driving can be done. If you've taken the class, could you please tell me how it works? Was the class worthwhile?

A buddy and I have signed up for the mid July class. We're both reasonable drivers with a lot of years driving experiance and haven't taken any driver training since high school (I've taken advanced motorcycle riding classes).

Cheers
Old 06-14-2010, 05:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

have you seen this website: http://www.bmwclub.ca/ ?
Old 06-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by miguex
have you seen this website: http://www.bmwclub.ca/ ?
Thanks. No, I didn't know about that.

I like the idea of training on Mosport (or other tracks). But I also like the idea of using their cars for it . After all, my baby has the name "precious" for a reason.

Cheers
Old 06-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by rmcd
Hi

Has anyone taken the Advanced Driving class in Toronto (http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/insights/dri..._training.html).

It's held at the Toronto Congress Centre on Dixon Rd. I don't see a track or large space where the driving can be done. If you've taken the class, could you please tell me how it works? Was the class worthwhile?

A buddy and I have signed up for the mid July class. We're both reasonable drivers with a lot of years driving experiance and haven't taken any driver training since high school (I've taken advanced motorcycle riding classes).

Cheers
Well, I didn't take the course in Toronto... but I did take the training in Vancouver a number of years ago. The course was held out in the sticks at an agriculture conference centre (if I recall correctly). Although there is no "track" at the location, they set up a skid pad (complete with water truck on site to keep it slick) for part of the course, and used a cone setup in a average sized parking lot for the rest of the course. Overall it doesn't take a ton of space for them to host the training.

Was it worthwhile? Yes, for me at least. Overall car control awareness is never a bad thing, and you come out of the course with a much better appreciation of what BMW's can handle. Anything chance you get to try out maneouvers you may NEED in an emergency is a good thing, and it's helped me more than once surviving the icy Winnipeg winter roads. The training used E46 330's at the time, but the lessons were fully applicable to my 5-series at the time.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Wpg550
Well, I didn't take the course in Toronto... but I did take the training in Vancouver a number of years ago. The course was held out in the sticks at an agriculture conference centre (if I recall correctly). Although there is no "track" at the location, they set up a skid pad (complete with water truck on site to keep it slick) for part of the course, and used a cone setup in a average sized parking lot for the rest of the course. Overall it doesn't take a ton of space for them to host the training.

Was it worthwhile? Yes, for me at least. Overall car control awareness is never a bad thing, and you come out of the course with a much better appreciation of what BMW's can handle. Anything chance you get to try out maneouvers you may NEED in an emergency is a good thing, and it's helped me more than once surviving the icy Winnipeg winter roads. The training used E46 330's at the time, but the lessons were fully applicable to my 5-series at the time.
Hey Wpg550. Thanks for the commentary. That helps clear up how this is going to work.

Sounds like fun. I'll try to remember to post a report here.

Cheers
Old 07-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Contributors

Hi

My buddy and I took the class today. It was a hoot.

As mentioned by Wpg550 (again, thanks for the post), the class covers the basics of emergency handling of any car => oversteer, understeer, braking, avoidance and good driving posture / position. There was good balance of lecture and in car experience. Not as much as the more advanced class but sufficient.

I'm not convinced that it's worth the money but it was fun and I got to drive a new 330.

Cheers
Old 07-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003 BMW E46 M3...way to many mods to list :)

http://trillium-bmwclub.ca/content/club-calendar

The BMW Trillium club puts on a good program, there is a beginner to moderate and advanced training program available through this car club. Generally, Mosport, Shannonville or Cayuga are the tracks used. I know many guys who have been through the program in Toronto, swear by the organization. I linked the calender of events for the rest of the year, you should come out - lots of BMW's, some heavily modified. Price ranges are around mid $300 I think from memory. If you want I can put you into contact with the organizers of the event.

Also, there is a skid school in Oakville as well which does training, I think the range is in the mid $300's to. Sounds like the event you went to was great.