E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can You Help In Identifying This Part?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Last Thursday I went to a local BMW shop to replace spark plugs, oil lube, micro filters and air filter . When I got home I noticed the hood was not completely closed from the left side. When I opened the hood I found the attached part seating close to the left headlight. I searched everywhere around the engine compartment to find where this part came from but with no success. I even went on RealOEM.com searching for this part but I couldn't find it. I took close up picture hoping you guys and help me in identifying it and where it belongs.

If you know what is this plastic nut for, please let me know. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Can You Help In Identifying This Part?-plastic-nut.jpg  
Old 04-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Contributors

What you need to do is go back to that shop and raise hell for screwing with your baby AND your safety.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

those are usually used to fasten something to a welded bolt/stud that is on the body of the car. i've seen them used to attach the protective panels on the underside of the car......the long panels on the side.

i'd like at your firewall. maybe the mechanic removed it to get some wires out of the way to get to the spark plugs.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

I will go back next week but I'm hoping someone on this forum could pin point where this part is suppose to be!

Originally Posted by Howitzer
What you need to do is go back to that shop and raise hell for screwing with your baby AND your safety.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

check the ac lines running across the passenger side firewall. there are 2 plastic nuts that look like the picture you showed us that hold down the ac lines to the firewall. or check the opposite side on the drivers side firewall. there is also a nut like that that holds the power wire for the battery. you need to move these wires in order to gain access to the back 2 plugs. check that and go from there. good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 550i, with all the bells and whistles!!

Looks like it might be one of the nuts that hold the micro filter cover in place. I had a look at my engine and did not see anything that looked like this, but it is similar to the plastic nuts holding the cabin filter covers in place.

Have you looked close at the filter covers?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:29 AM
Senior Members

That's what I thought first and I looked at the cabin filter box, it's not the same! I will look today at the places that BMWROGER1 suggested and report back.

Originally Posted by sleeper50
Looks like it might be one of the nuts that hold the micro filter cover in place. I had a look at my engine and did not see anything that looked like this, but it is similar to the plastic nuts holding the cabin filter covers in place.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

Originally Posted by sleeper50

That's also what came to my mind, but it isn't quite right. You might also check so see if the nut that holds the engine filter down is in place, maybe it is the bottom half of where this screws in. See this pic: https://5series.net/forums/topic/217...ilter-removal/ (the screw on the lower right) I'm not sure what this screws into on the bottom side. You might also check:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/685...&#entry1150439

And look around at some of the photo's since these are related to the service you had performed.

Here is one on spark plug change : https://5series.net/forums/topic/620...lug-4-on-545i/ with pictures, maybe if you look thru all of these you'll find the missing nut. Good luck!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Those plastic nuts looks like the ones used to secure the tire well trim...
Old 04-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

Is the tire well trim the plastic cover located above the front tires? If it is I already looked there and did not see anything similar to the nut I have. I know this may not be a big deal but it is bugging the hell out of me!

Originally Posted by Krozi
Those plastic nuts looks like the ones used to secure the tire well trim...

Quick Reply: Can You Help In Identifying This Part?