E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can You add Nav if your Car never Came with it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 03:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to get the Nav but it is kind of pricey but was curious if you can install it in the 5 series after I buy the car. My dealer said it is only a factory installed option, but that does not make sense, with a little wiring I think this should be possible. Has anyone done this? I have the same question for the Heads-up Display

Peace
Old 06-24-2004, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seriously doubt it. if so, it would be too expensive.

also, i believe the HUD is a monitor in the dash itself and it reflects on the windshield.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:06 PM
Contributors

I?m not an expert but forgive me my speculative urges...

Retrofitting of Nav has been discussed very much on this list and should certainly be possible but expensive. There is a "secret" code for installing preparation for nav on a new order and that is not so expensive (I was qouted around 150?) and that should help even if it might be possible to retrofit even without that.
You should also be aware that the Nav retrofit leads to different discussions if you?re in Europe or US as would the choice of Business Nav or Pro Nav.
Retrofit of buisness nav is official in Europe at least (haven?t seen the price though).
Retrofit of HUD seems much more unlikely though as it is a rather complex fitting in many parts of the dashboard (and actually needs a special windshield).
The retrofit prices I?ve seen on other gadgets are normally at least double compared to factory mounted and often much more than that (eg. retrofitting of adaptive headlights is more than four times as expensive PLUS the labour cost)
Even on rims/wheels you get a hefty rebate if they are "factory mounted".

best
objetti
Old 06-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Members

Rix Mix:
Not sure if you have looked through all the recent additions to the forum. I recently had NAV retro fitted. I am told I am only the second US 545i that has had this done due to lack of parts. (I posted a pic in the forum of it).

The job is not complete because of a trim problem which had to be reordered. I am leaving the car back into my dealer on Monday to have the trim fixed as well as for them to talk with BMW NA about some software flaws and other minor problems.

Retro will run me somewhere in the range of $2000-2200 I believe but I do not have a final price yet. My car was a Fall 2003 build so NAV was not available but it was something I wanted so I placed the order for the NAV kit when I took delivery on New Year's Eve 2003.

Regarding the wiring, your car should come prewired for NAV - at least if it's a 545i I think; your vehcile window sticker would show that.

I cannot speak for HUD.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Everything is possible.
But it would be waaaaay to expensive to retrofit the HUD!
You would need a complete new dashboard, windshield and software reprogramming.
Just to give you a little guess on the costs:
Over here in Germany there is an option "anti-theft-windows" (windows are thicker and almost impossible to break). This option is 1600,- EUR. A retrofit takes 3 days and costs 10000,- EUR !
Now think about the labour and parts needed for a HUD retrofit...
It will be cheaper to order another e60 with HUD and trade the first one in...
Same with the nav...
W/o having nav now, upgrading on nav pro will be expensive...
Old 06-25-2004, 08:55 AM
Members

Couple things, looks like this can be done and honestly for $2000-2200 that is not bad at all. SamSpudz was there a part called the Nav Kit at the dealership that can be ordered? and what does the kit include?

What is the difference between Business Nav and Nav Pro? What choices do we get here in the states?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2004, 09:01 AM
Contributors

States is nav pro. The other does not actually have a map. Pretty much arrows only. It sux.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

i use the garmin streetpilot. incredible system, i think the interface looks better than bmws, voice control of directions is loud and clear.
sits nicely on my cup holder, plug into cigarette slot. i highyly recommend it.
http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2610/
Old 06-25-2004, 10:52 AM
JDN
Contributors

Garmin Street Pilot was what I used with the 540. It definitely has some features that I miss.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:11 AM
Members

What sucks is right now I have a Kenwood KVT-915DVD 7" touch screen DVD/TV/CD/DVD Audio/MP3/WMA unit with the additional KNA-DV3100 Nav. It is one of the best Navs I have had, so I am going to sell it all and use the $$ for the Nav Option and HUD, although I don't think Navigation wise I can do as much but at least if I get it I can still be "Navigated"

Peace

Quick Reply: Can You add Nav if your Car never Came with it?