E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can someone explain the vent settings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i, Alpine White, auto, premium package, nav, cold weather package, euro red reflectors

I must admit that when the sales person explained it, I didn't really get it and now I need to understand it because we've had our first cold front move in (finally). What is the purpose of the idrive vent settings as opposed to the manual knobs? The only thing I remember learning at the dealer is that my little guy on the idrive screen should be red (warm) in the winter, and blue (cool) in the summer. Thanks in advance for any guidance here...
Old 11-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Contributors

lattelady:
Welcome to the forum. My understanding is the idrive function is for "fresh" air that comes in the cabin. This air is to help refresh the driver. The temp. of that air is controlled in the idrive. Red = hotter, blue = cooler. The overall cabin temp. is control by the dials. Most members seem to use the "auto" feature and then set the dial temp. that is comfortable for them. Hope this helps
Old 11-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Interesting, as I am still baffled by that goofy diagram, especially with those multiple-bar equal signs in the center. I just don't get it.

Ray Hull
Old 11-16-2005, 04:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525i, Alpine White, auto, premium package, nav, cold weather package, euro red reflectors

Originally Posted by juan2mini' post='198733' date='Nov 15 2005, 06:01 PM
lattelady:
Welcome to the forum. My understanding is the idrive function is for "fresh" air that comes in the cabin. This air is to help refresh the driver. The temp. of that air is controlled in the idrive. Red = hotter, blue = cooler. The overall cabin temp. is control by the dials. Most members seem to use the "auto" feature and then set the dial temp. that is comfortable for them. Hope this helps
If this is for fresh air, does that mean it only comes into play when the snowflake isn't lit (A/C not on)? Actually, as I now think of it, I'm not sure that there is a Heat button, just the temp dial...

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 11-16-2005, 05:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by lattelady' post='198944
lattelady:
If this is for fresh air, does that mean it only comes into play when the snowflake isn't lit (A/C not on)? Actually, as I now think of it, I'm not sure that there is a Heat button, just the temp dial...

Thanks for the welcome!
[/quote]

The centre bars (4 of them max, either red or blue) determines the air temperature blowing out of the centre vents. When it's blue, cool air; red, warm air. You can leave the rest untouched (you will notice the auto light at the control knobs/buttons lit up). If you touch any other vent setting at the idrive, the auto light will go off; you are then in the manual mode.