E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can someone explain something to me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

I'm not quite as in to all of this as some of you guys, so go easy on me. I'm trying to understand what you mean when you refer to something as "M" or "non-M". I totally get the difference between the M5 and the other cars in the 5 Series lineup, but would "non-M" just mean anything other than an M5 (or M3), or does it go beyond that? For example, are M wheels those that are styled after stock M3 or M5 wheels, or does the classification infer that the style is non-standard from "i" models? I've also heard the term "M-sport". Is that just another name for the sport package? I know that the M cars are manufactured by BMW's Motorsports division, so are M parts just those manufactured by that division? Also, a devil's advocate question would be: what is the appeal of modding your car with M parts? I suspect I know the answer, but would just like to hear your commentary.

I apologize in advance if these questions seem naive to you.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Generally speaking, M and non-M is exactly as you suspected - it simply delineates between the M cars (M3, M5 and M6) and their standard siblings.

Cars may have M parts or M suspension but these cars are still 'non-M', the 'M' designation and honor is reserved for the real thing.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Thanks. So what is "M-Sport"? An M car with the Sports package? Sounds kind of redundant. BTW, what "packages" can you buy with an M5? Are they the same as for non-M cars?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jayarras
Thanks. So what is "M-Sport"? An M car with the Sports package? Sounds kind of redundant. BTW, what "packages" can you buy with an M5? Are they the same as for non-M cars?

The "normal" sports package usually includes upgraded suspension, top speed limiter increase, different wheels, and some trim changes.

M-Sport is a higher level of sports package that does all of that and a more aggressive trim package (side skirts, front and rear bumpers), different wheels (from base cars and the regular sports package), and sometimes M labeled steering wheel and shift knob.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

In Europe you could order the M-Sport package for your E60/E61, in the same way you could order any other option or package.

The M-Sport package includes:
- M-Aerodynamic pack; front bumper, side skirts and rear bumper. The trunk spoiler was an option at extra cost
- 18" M135. The 19" M172 was an option at extra cost
- M-Sport suspension, which is 15mm lower than standard suspension
- Carbon Black metalic paint, only optional with the M-Sport package (or via BMW Individual for silly money!)
- "M" steering wheel
- "M" gear knob for manual gear box
- "M" door sills
- Black Anthracite headliner
- Flashlight-Nappa half-leather for seats (or you could opt for full leather as with any other model)

My 550i is a German spec model with the M-Sport package. I refer to it as a 550i M-Sport, because its notibly different (visually) to the standard version and those familiar with the package will understand what M parts it all has on there.

Hope that all makes sense!
Old 09-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bloomjbmw
M-Sport is a higher level of sports package that does all of that and a more aggressive trim package (side skirts, front and rear bumpers), different wheels (from base cars and the regular sports package), and sometimes M labeled steering wheel and shift knob.
bloomjbmw, I noticed you owned an E39 M5 and now have an E60 M-Sport. I've read some of the comments on the M5 board on how expensive the M5 is to run. I'm curious if that was a factor in your "stepping down" to an M-Sport, and do you think it was a good compromise?
Old 09-21-2010, 06:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jayarras
bloomjbmw, I noticed you owned an E39 M5 and now have an E60 M-Sport. I've read some of the comments on the M5 board on how expensive the M5 is to run. I'm curious if that was a factor in your "stepping down" to an M-Sport, and do you think it was a good compromise?

I decided to sell the M5 with about 85K on it. I had an absolute blast driving it and I miss it. Basically I sold it because of two things: 1) I wasn't sure if I wanted to pay for all of the maintenance it would need going forward. 2) I wanted all of the new bells and whistles that come on the newer models (vented seats, better nav, bluetooth, etc). So in the end I have a car that is nearly as fast/fun, gets a little better gas mileage, and has all of the new goodies I wanted - plus I bought it with 18K miles so I should be able to drive it for a while. But make no mistake - the e39 beast will forever have a place in my heart!! BTW, I am watching this 1M Coupe stuff closely. If they outfit the inside with M3 seats and such, maybe I'll be moving that direction...?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Administrator

I hear you! Thanks.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles

Originally Posted by swajames
Generally speaking, M and non-M is exactly as you suspected - it simply delineates between the M cars (M3, M5 and M6) and their standard siblings.

Cars may have M parts or M suspension but these cars are still 'non-M', the 'M' designation and honor is reserved for the real thing.
A
Old 09-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles

Originally Posted by swajames

A

Quick Reply: Can someone explain something to me?