E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can RunFlats be repaired/plugged like regular tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

2 plugs on the drivers rear 1 plug on the passenger rear and ummm about 3 months now since the last plug and no problems. It still holds air and tracks fine.

I wouldnt try driving HIGH speeds on them though... they are just plugs...

This isnt on the E60 tho... on the MINI Coopers Runflats, same deal... I figured come on its runflats if they dont hold then fine leak air i'll replace the tires then.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

most maunufactures now say that providing the sidewalls havmt been compromised (driven flat or suspect damage or puncture outside of the tread area)it is ok to repair with internal plug fix adhesive and plugged from inside.
check recommendations from tyre maufactureres site on net.
i had one on goodyear about 3000m ago all ok here.see last post at time.
came off the rim like butter with the right equipment for the repair.but it was a new machine only one within 100miles here in my area.
now i have taken out insurance with RAC. BARCLACARD OFFER 46? PER YEAR
Old 11-28-2005, 04:46 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by radioham' post='204492' date='Nov 28 2005, 08:18 PM
most maunufactures now say that providing the sidewalls havmt been compromised (driven flat or suspect damage or puncture outside of the tread area)it is ok to repair with internal plug fix adhesive and plugged from inside.
check recommendations from tyre maufactureres site on net.
i had one on goodyear about 3000m ago all ok here.see last post at time.
came off the rim like butter with the right equipment for the repair.but it was a new machine only one within 100miles here in my area.
now i have taken out insurance with RAC. BARCLACARD OFFER 46? PER YEAR
Plug it, if the plug fails you are still on runflats so you won't loss control anyway.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='204393' date='Nov 28 2005, 04:45 PM
Sorry, what's NTB?

NTB = National Tire and Battery, a tire retailer. Check them out at www.ntb.com
Old 11-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='204503' date='Nov 28 2005, 05:46 PM
Plug it, if the plug fails you are still on runflats so you won't loss control anyway.
Exactlly! So for $10 to plug vs $250 a tire I'll try the plug and ride on the run flat if it doesnt work and THEN replace it.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545 jet black/beige, smg sport,premium,sunshades,logic7,cwp,nav,pdc,bluetooth,16.0,light tint all around,Pirelli PZeroNero

repaired Dunlop RF no problem twice,at the local generic tire shop,5$ a piece for slow leak,after that no problem
Old 11-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Senior Members

Here in SA BMW has instructed all tyre shops that they may not repair RF's on BMW's, because there is no way to tell how long and at what speed the tyre was used whilst flat. Hence no real way to determine the integrity of the sidewall.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Members

I've run 140+ mph on a plugged runflat, no problems at all from the tire. The dealer was the one who actually plugged it for me.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Well I finally ended up getting the tire plugged from the inside today, after an entire afternoon of searching for a shop to do it in NYC. Every shop either didn't have the proper equipment to handle RFT's or weren't willing to do it.

I started at some cheap shops that I used before on my old Jeep but they said they didn't have the equipment to dismount a RFT from the wheel. They were willing to do it, but said they might scratch the rim by using the old equipment. They were willing to plug the tire from the outside.

Then I went to a shop I used before to install tires from tirerack, said they didn't have the proper equipment either and weren't willing to do it.

Then I tried another shop that's listed on tirerack but they said they couldn't repair RFT's.

I passed by a huge shop that specializes in tires, but they told me that RFT's CANNOT be repaired. When I told them it was possible, they then got to the point and said they weren't willing to do it, couldn't guanantee their work, couldn't guarantee my safety, etc.

I then tried a local mechanic. Nope, said RFT's are impossible to repair.

Went to a flat tire shop where I see a lot of taxis are getting their flats repaired. They said they could patch it on the outside, since their equipment couldn't handle an 18" wheel/tire.

Went to another flat tire shop that the taxis recommended. I mentioned RFT's and they said no problem. I go inside and the equipment doesn't look any different from the standard tire machine. Turns out that it was probably just a standard machine, cause it took 2 people to yank on the deflated RFT for 30min to get it off the wheel!

So I finally got it plugged. I bet they just thought it was a regular tire too. I'll be checking the pressure for the next few days to see if it worked.

RFT'S ARE SUCH A PAIN IN THE A$$ TO FIX!
Old 11-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

I repaired (plugged my rear tire twice and front once, both on the right side and had no problems. I think there is a limit on how many times it can be plugged before the tires are deemed unsafe though....

Quick Reply: Can RunFlats be repaired/plugged like regular tires?