E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CAN communicaton errors 530D E60 2007 LCI

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 07:01 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530D E60 LCI
Default CAN communicaton errors 530D E60 2007 LCI

I have some issues with CAN communications errors in my bmw 530D e60 2007 LCI - Automatic RWD:

FFFF CAN: Communications Fault

E51D CAN: LM: No PT-CAN message (steering angle). Fault currently present ( this error shows in LM module )

E51A CAN: LM: no message (yaw angle speed) from DSC. Fault currently present ( this error shows in LM module )

I have this issues since before was changed some injector then I think sensors just lost communication ? I never changed LM Module so its same module there.

I have all bmw software is there a way to make them communicate together again or know what to change ?
I used INPA and saw that steering knows angle because when I move steering angle changes ( just angle is incorrect a bit since I did some alignment last time )

My headlights dont movie with steering as before they just stay straight all time.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:23 AM
New Members

Update:

I think yaw sensor failed or somehow it has been disconnected ?
Reading forums I see that Yaw sensor is somewhere under driver seat but I am not sure where is location of it so have to check tomorrow.

LM Module I think is ok and steering angle sensor wheel because I can see stering angle changing with steering wheel rotating etc so I think just yaw sensor is bad ?

Even DTC and DSC works ( no problems with them )
Old 12-26-2016, 08:49 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by bellabmw
I have some issues with CAN communications errors in my bmw 530D e60 2007 LCI - Automatic RWD:

FFFF CAN: Communications Fault

E51D CAN: LM: No PT-CAN message (steering angle). Fault currently present ( this error shows in LM module )

E51A CAN: LM: no message (yaw angle speed) from DSC. Fault currently present ( this error shows in LM module )

I have this issues since before was changed some injector then I think sensors just lost communication ? I never changed LM Module so its same module there.

I have all bmw software is there a way to make them communicate together again or know what to change ?
I used INPA and saw that steering knows angle because when I move steering angle changes ( just angle is incorrect a bit since I did some alignment last time )

My headlights dont movie with steering as before they just stay straight all time.
After alignment you have to reset the steering angle, can do it with DIS, I had to do this also after alignment had same problems, you can google steering/alignment for BMW adaptive steering and get step by step instructions.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:48 PM
New Members

I have reset steering angle successfully with DISV57 also tested headlights movements with DIS in all positions smc motors etc are in good condition no problems with headlights.

Steering angle reports angle perfectly also yaw rate sensor is working I can read values.

Very strange and those CAN errors are still here and since they show in LM module then this is the issue why is preventing headlights to move with steering wheel.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:26 AM
New Members

This may or may not be your cause but I have occasionally CAN faults and then the cluster goes "funky" on me, happened first the year I got the 545 in late fall of 2012 got car re programmed by dealer was all good till this fall when temps started going towards freezing Same problem, got reprogrammed again and all is well dealer charges $200-300.
sounds to me like your LM module suffers same disease as my cluster........
Old 01-27-2017, 10:29 AM
New Members

So a reprogram of LM module maybe fixes all issues?

I should try it too but I am more worried if cables get oxdided or lost signal.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:43 AM
New Members

My Ride: bmw e60 2008

Hi i just wanted to know it you were able to overcome this problem as i have the same problem my adaptive headlights dont turn either when it starts up they do their levelling checks and everything all good but the driver side points right but no errors there its to do with the same two errors that you have, ni message from yaw sensor and steering angle, if you did manage to sort it could you olease tell me how wiuld be much appreciated, many thanks
Old 10-30-2020, 10:50 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: E60 530xd
Model Year: 2008

BUMP
Did you guys manage to fix this? i am having the same codes on my 2008 with AHL
Old 10-30-2020, 05:25 PM
New Members

An update on my KOMBI issue which maybe similar to what’s happening with the communication with the LM module. It happened again last fall with my KOMBI and this time didn’t go to the dealer to get it fixed but did a reflash of my KOMBI myself.

you can try this with you LM and it likely will fix the communication problem, use Winkfp to do it.
Post #70 in this link has some how to on Winkfp
ECU Reprogramming

Last edited by cmyachtie; 10-30-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:46 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: E60 530xd
Model Year: 2008

Will try to flash my LM today, thank you for your help!

Quick Reply: CAN communicaton errors 530D E60 2007 LCI