E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Calibrating mpg

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 07:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530d M sport auto, Carbon black, Beige leather, Light poplar trim, Media pack, Extended voice control.

I have noticed that my journey computer shows my mpg at about 10% better than actual consumption(odometer miles/fuel purchased)

I have read several posts that try to explain how to calibrate the computer but I don't seem to be able to to get into the correct menu.

I believe you have to fiddle with the odometer reset button and change the menus in the centre of the instrument display (not the hidden menus in i drive). One post mentions two buttons in the instrument display, but I only have one.

Can anyone give me the correct sequence to do this?

Also do I need to check if the system is set for imperial gallons, not the smaller US gallon?

Thanks

Nige Nige
Old 05-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

The units (UK or US gallons) are easily checked via the main I-drive settings. Mine certainly came set wrongly (and note this is key specific)
However, would expect under US gallons the computer mpg would in fact be worse
Old 05-04-2006, 12:58 PM
JDN
Contributors

These are instructions verbatim from Grogan545 who has successfully calibrated his OBC gas mileage. He posted to be twice. The second was to clarify the first:

per Grogan545:
To change OBC mpg computer hold in reset button approx 30 seconds until information comes p,scroll thru menu by pressing reset button to code 19(lock on)wait until new info is displayed scroll again to code 21 wait until info comes up,go to code 20 push reset once this will start right hand digit scrolling hit reset when digit you want to select is displayed,2nd digit will now start scrolling,continue until all digits are set,you must then hold reset button until new code is displayed.

Addendum:

When you get to the second set of codes push reset until you get to code 21 on the second set of codes.

You will get a third set of codes, go to code 20,this should show you the code thats entered (should be 1000 from factory).

You then push reset.

This should start the least significant digit scrolling,when you want to select a digit hit reset.

That digit will enter and the next significant digit will scroll.

When you get all four digits set you have to hit reset and hold it for about 6 seconds.

This will enter the new code.i know it is frustrating and usually takes many tries until you get the hang of it.

Addendum:
I just went over the procedure for setting code 20 see if this step by step helps.

1-Hold in reset button for about 30 seconds until some german "donkey" talk is displayed along with 01.

2-With reset button scroll up to code 19 and wait about six seconds until screen changes and goes to code 01.

3-Scroll with reset button again until you reach code 21,wait about six seconds this puts code 19 in "unlock",display will start at 01 again.

4-Scroll up to code 20 (as you pass thru code 19 notice that it should say "unlock"do not stop at 19 it will screw you up)

5-When you reach code 20 wait about six seconds and some more german "donkey talk comes up along with a 4 digit number (should be factory set at 1000 (lower left of display)).

6-Push reset once and right hand digit should begin scrolling,when you reach the desired digit,push reset again this should lock that digit and the 2nd digit should start scolling. When you reach the desired digit push reset. This should lock that digit and begin scolling the 3rd digit (this digit
only scolls from 7 thru 12).
Old 05-05-2006, 04:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530d M sport auto, Carbon black, Beige leather, Light poplar trim, Media pack, Extended voice control.

Originally Posted by JDN' post='278127' date='May 4 2006, 09:58 PM
These are instructions verbatim from Grogan545 who has successfully calibrated his OBC gas mileage. He posted to be twice. The second was to clarify the first:

per Grogan545:
To change OBC mpg computer hold in reset button approx 30 seconds until information comes p,scroll thru menu by pressing reset button to code 19(lock on)wait until new info is displayed scroll again to code 21 wait until info comes up,go to code 20 push reset once this will start right hand digit scrolling hit reset when digit you want to select is displayed,2nd digit will now start scrolling,continue until all digits are set,you must then hold reset button until new code is displayed.

Addendum:

When you get to the second set of codes push reset until you get to code 21 on the second set of codes.

You will get a third set of codes, go to code 20,this should show you the code thats entered (should be 1000 from factory).

You then push reset.

This should start the least significant digit scrolling,when you want to select a digit hit reset.

That digit will enter and the next significant digit will scroll.

When you get all four digits set you have to hit reset and hold it for about 6 seconds.

This will enter the new code.i know it is frustrating and usually takes many tries until you get the hang of it.

Addendum:
I just went over the procedure for setting code 20 see if this step by step helps.

1-Hold in reset button for about 30 seconds until some german "donkey" talk is displayed along with 01.

2-With reset button scroll up to code 19 and wait about six seconds until screen changes and goes to code 01.

3-Scroll with reset button again until you reach code 21,wait about six seconds this puts code 19 in "unlock",display will start at 01 again.

4-Scroll up to code 20 (as you pass thru code 19 notice that it should say "unlock"do not stop at 19 it will screw you up)

5-When you reach code 20 wait about six seconds and some more german "donkey talk comes up along with a 4 digit number (should be factory set at 1000 (lower left of display)).

6-Push reset once and right hand digit should begin scrolling,when you reach the desired digit,push reset again this should lock that digit and the 2nd digit should start scolling. When you reach the desired digit push reset. This should lock that digit and begin scolling the 3rd digit (this digit
only scolls from 7 thru 12).
Thanks for info but no luck in getting the 4-digit number.

When I complete stage 3 (-Scroll with reset button again until you reach code 21,wait about six seconds this puts code 19 in "unlock",display will start at 01 again) my display reverts to clock and temp display. I dont seem to be able to unlock code 19

Any ideas?

Nige Nige
Old 05-05-2006, 06:06 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Nige Nige' post='278385' date='May 5 2006, 07:53 AM
Thanks for info but no luck in getting the 4-digit number.

When I complete stage 3 (-Scroll with reset button again until you reach code 21,wait about six seconds this puts code 19 in "unlock",display will start at 01 again) my display reverts to clock and temp display. I dont seem to be able to unlock code 19

Any ideas?

Nige Nige
Sorry, but I had the same experience. I never did get Grogan's procedure to work, but occasionally I keep trying. I know he has done it, but I keep missing something.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

EDIT: no, i'm not replying to a thread from 2006