E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A/C Pro Needed - 06 530i E60 AC Blowing Warm Air & misery. i have scan tools & cider

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 12:51 PM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by Ohainey
Both hoses are warm as an ostrich's hole in Texas.
As Sean said, before doing anything, check that you have sufficient Freon in the system and check for leaks.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

If coolant is still running through the system then you will be getting heat at the vents. Now the reason I took the part off the car and took it apart is because this issue could be caused buy bad gaskets in the part or your IHKA. If you are not getting an IHKA error then it points to the control valve but you don't want to buy the part if nothing is wrong so take it apart and check the gaskets and solenoids. If I remember correctly only 2 screws hold it together maybe 4 but it is very easy if you've ever taken something apart. The part can be rebuilt but I found a site that gave a lifetime warranty and the part was less than I found any where else OE. I also rebuilt the old one and sold it for half the price.

Also don't forget that your compressor is low so that needs to be fixed before you're able to get cold air. You're readings should be around 35 low side and 150 high side. I would address that first then TS the valve and you should have cold air again. The sensor code you got can be fixed if you'd like but not needed.

Do you know how long it's been since the a/c was serviced? Have you tried putting freon in the compressor yet? Have you tested to make sure your manifold is working correctly? I would just put them on another car to make sure. I have had that happen to me before working on someone else's car (manifold was bad giving incorrect readings).
Old 02-25-2018, 01:31 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 E60 530i,
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
As Sean said, before doing anything, check that you have sufficient Freon in the system and check for leaks.
Thanks man, just heading off to get a vacuum pump now.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:58 PM
New Members

[QUOTE=seanjordan20;1594061
Do you know how long it's been since the a/c was serviced?
Have you tested to make sure your manifold is working correctly?
.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried putting freon in the compressor yet?

I do not know when the A/C was serviced. I tried putting freon in it when I got the car over a year ago and it didn't do anything.
I was wondering if I overcharged it. But scan tool says freon is at 90% capacity.

Have you tested to make sure your manifold is working correctly?
I would just put them on another car to make sure.

Yes, the Gauges are working correctly,

I checked the temp of the hoses. In 3 places they are all within 10 degrees of one another.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

I feel the vacuum test will pin point your issue. You stated before that your RPMs jumped when you turned the ac on. That means you're clutch is engaging and nothing is wrong with the compressor. You're getting heat when the ac is on which leads to low freon with those readings. After the vacuum test and if it holds fill at engagement and it should start getting cold after a few intervals. Make sure you don't over fill. If you do your fan will start blowing fast as a warning. When you hit 32psi then you are done.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:03 PM
New Members

Also don't forget that your compressor is low so that needs to be fixed before you're able to get cold air. You're readings should be around 35 low side and 150 high side.

I would address that first then

Do you mean evacuate and recharge with freon and 46 pag oil and check for leaks as you have suggested previously or to fit a new compressor?
Old 02-25-2018, 02:06 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
I feel the vacuum test will pin point your issue. You stated before that your RPMs jumped when you turned the ac on. That means you're clutch is engaging and nothing is wrong with the compressor. You're getting heat when the ac is on which leads to low freon with those readings. After the vacuum test and if it holds fill at engagement and it should start getting cold after a few intervals. Make sure you don't over fill. If you do your fan will start blowing fast as a warning. When you hit 32psi then you are done.

You answered my question 2mins before I was wrote it. thanks my internet is spotty today haha..

Its off to autozone i go.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:11 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
I feel the vacuum test will pin point your issue..
What coolant from Autozone do you suggest?

I had an issue with a radiator pipe clip and it drained most of the coolant, it has mainly distilled water and a small amount of coolant at the moment.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

I checked the temp of the hoses. In 3 places they are all within 10 degrees of one another.
That is fairly close. They should not be that close without having the heat on. The order I would take:

1. Vacuum test (if it pasts proceed)
2. Refill compressor (vent temp should read around 40 degrees if not proceed)
3. Check control valve hoses (if temp is around the same proceed)
4. Take valve apart and check gaskets (if bad proceed)
5. Replace or rebuild

If these steps do not work then the beginning step was not done correctly. Checking the codes. You have to make sure that your IHKA is not the issue.

I always assume people do the basics first before asking so I forget to make sure that has been done. I can build a chart to help with troubleshooting ac issues.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

What coolant from Autozone do you suggest?

I had an issue with a radiator pipe clip and it drained most of the coolant, it has mainly distilled water and a small amount of coolant at the moment.
I would not put in the regular stuff unless you are planing to use it for now then drain. I would get the Pentofrost NF is you plan on doing this just one time. I only use BMW coolant but Pentofrost is the closest you will get at Autozone

Last edited by seanjordan20; 02-25-2018 at 02:28 PM.

Quick Reply: A/C Pro Needed - 06 530i E60 AC Blowing Warm Air & misery. i have scan tools & cider