E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

a/c fan blower noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my car to the dealer about this problem. They, of course, couldn't replicate it and said that it was normal. When I went to pick the car up I took my keys and left the bill unsettled, drove around for 20 minutes and returned with the car making the noise. A tech came out, looked at it and said "yep, that's not right." They replaced the blower motor under my 3rd party warranty. I was quoted a little over $900 when I called for it but they ended up doing it for warranty for around $750. I paid $0 for my deductible.

Oh, and I have a video of the problem as well if anyone needs to confirm it.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phoned a few dealers to get pricing for the part but whilst I was on the phone I probed for some more information. This is what I found out:

BMW sell just 6 blower motors Worldwide each month (they are specific to E60/E61 and 6 series though). So it seems I'm really "lucky".

One dealer checked with the technicians. They do see exactly the problem I described occassionally. It's the bearings in the motor drying out and starting to fail....great but at least a positive confirmation on the fault. The dealer had in the past tried lubricating the bearings but it never lasted and they now considered that the only fix was a new blower motor. UK price almost exactly £100 incl taxes (Sept 2011) for the part. I didn't ask about labour but it's a big job to replace.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JasonH
Phoned a few dealers to get pricing for the part but whilst I was on the phone I probed for some more information. This is what I found out:

BMW sell just 6 blower motors Worldwide each month (they are specific to E60/E61 and 6 series though). So it seems I'm really "lucky".

One dealer checked with the technicians. They do see exactly the problem I described occassionally. It's the bearings in the motor drying out and starting to fail....great but at least a positive confirmation on the fault. The dealer had in the past tried lubricating the bearings but it never lasted and they now considered that the only fix was a new blower motor. UK price almost exactly £100 incl taxes (Sept 2011) for the part. I didn't ask about labour but it's a big job to replace.
I have the same issue couldn't get dealer to replicate the issue, now I am out of warranty and doing it myself. Picked up the Blower motor for $142 out the door with BMWCCA discount. It is a time consuming job from what I have seen. Lots of pieces and parts to remove. Will try to get it done this weekend with a few pictures. I have my Bentley book already set up with post it notes to get started.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by machtschnell
I have the same issue couldn't get dealer to replicate the issue, now I am out of warranty and doing it myself. Picked up the Blower motor for $142 out the door with BMWCCA discount. It is a time consuming job from what I have seen. Lots of pieces and parts to remove. Will try to get it done this weekend with a few pictures. I have my Bentley book already set up with post it notes to get started.
I have a step by step guide that I wrote with pictures to ensure I put it all back together correctly. I've not posted it as a guide because it has something like 30 pictures in it. If you want a copy PM me your email address.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Members

I have a step by step guide that I wrote with pictures to ensure I put it all back together correctly. I've not posted it as a guide because it has something like 30 pictures in it. If you want a copy PM me your email address.
Hi Jason, can you kindly send me the guide how to replace the blower motor, thanks
Old 12-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by carlos916
mine did the same thing.. almost sounded like a jet airplane in my car lol.. took it in to the dealer and replaced the blower and the problem was solved.. but now i got that mysterious annoying problem that my a/c or fan just turns on when it feels like it even if i shut it off it will turn on by its self =/

chek out my vid.. wonder if its the same problem as urs..

http://youtu.be/wTakNkjt3Zw
Hi Carlos, i am having the same issue with my E60(520i), please let me know if there is any guide on how to replace the blower fan, thank you
Old 12-26-2011, 11:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dilber1980
Hi Carlos, i am having the same issue with my E60(520i), please let me know if there is any guide on how to replace the blower fan, thank you
I've written a guide but it's a 9Mb Word document or a 7Mb PDF and I haven't got anywhere sensible to post it up. I can email it if you PM me your email address.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:18 AM
Members

I've written a guide but it's a 9Mb Word document or a 7Mb PDF and I haven't got anywhere sensible to post it up. I can email it if you PM me your email address.
Hi Jason, can you please send me the step by step guide at 'hiteshvaja@rogers.com' at your convenience..thanks and happy holidays!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i All Black

Jason,
Could you send me a copy of your guide to sebastianatar [AT] gmail [DOT] com.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:56 PM
New Members

My Ride: 525i Touring
Model Year: 2004

So how do you remove the cabin filters with out breaking them?
Thanks for any advice.
BB

Originally Posted by louveres
I read about this issue a while ago, I had the same problem, and after removing the cabin filters and cleaning up the ducts, the noise went away. It appears like sometimes a piece of dried leaf can move pass the cabin filter and reach to the blower, and make that noise propagate inside the car.

Quick Reply: a/c fan blower noise