E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Buying 535xi with 60K

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 04:59 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Range Rover
Default Buying 535xi with 60K

Hello all,

New to this forum. I am itching to pull the trigger on a 2008xi with 60k on it. Before jumping however i need your opinions. The car is listed for $14k. Since this will be my primary car, I intend to buy an extended warranty that will cover pretty much everything except wear and tear (if there is such a warranty) for 4 years/40k miles. I have about $3500 - $4000 to spend for the extended warranty.

I read that these model have a high failure rate when it comes to HPFP which is covered for 10yrs/120k miles and the turbos which are covered for 8yrs/82k miles but the latter is now out of warranty as the car was manufactured in 7/2008. Are there any other issues I need to know about ? Should I consider buying this car? Is it fairly priced? I live in Washington DC area.

I currently drive a 1996 Range Rover which I bought in year 2000 with 43K miles and I reads 143k miles. The Range Rover is seen as unreliable car but it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. For the 100k I put on this vehicle, the only thing that failed me was the air suspension. I had it converted to a manual one and never had a problem since then. The only maintenance/repair I have done is regular oil change, replaced tires and breaks when needed. I really didn't take much care for this car. Never flashed the break, steering not transmission fluid since manufactured. Yes, all fluids except for engine oil, which I replace every 3000 miles, are 20 years old!!! :

Maybe my next BMW will also treat me nice??? I won't be so negligent on my next car however! Or else I will pay the price for that German engineering!

Last edited by dvdit; 10-09-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:06 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i xdrive
Model Year: 2010

As long as you get that warranty and have a good mechanic then you will be golden. The car definitely has it's share of hiccups, but is a treat to drive. See below link and the pdf within it.

If you open an account at PenFed credit union, they can finance the car and also include a RT 66 Warranty, which you can also finance into the loan. RT 66 is great coverage, lots of positive BMW experiences have been reported on the forums. I have this warranty and it had been hassle-free with no questions asked.

So You Just Bought an E60 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
Old 10-10-2016, 06:00 AM
New Members

Thanks for the Route 66 warranty.It is one of the companies I was considering. I am also looking at Easycare and Fidelity.

I will read that pdf. It seems like if I am more concerned about reliability, the 528i or 528xi is the one to get. Most who bought the 528 over the 535 seems to regret their decision though. Is there much of a difference between these two? I have no plan whatsoever to drive any car with speed other than the posted limit so speed is NOT a factor to me, overall handling is though.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:15 PM
New Members

I checked out a 2009 528i today. 56k miles, very good condition. One owner. Something peculiar I have found though is that the vehicle had a maintenance inspection completed at BMW dealership 08/25/2016 and engine/powertrain computer/module check was performed on the same date, mileage then was 56,455. Another engine/powertrain computer/module check was performed three weeks later on 09/14/2016 mileage then was 56,895 and the vehicle was sold at an auction by the BMW dealer right after that. Why the need to do a engine/powertrain computer/module check twice in a short span? Is this a routine check?

This car was sold at an auction by the BMW dealer who has serviced this car on more than a few occasion. Any reason why they wouldn't sell it as used themselves rather than auctioning it? Is this a red flag? If I contact the dealer, are they legally obligated to disclose the issue with the car, in any ?

Since I am getting an extended warranty should I not be so concerned with issues like this? Please help!!

Last edited by dvdit; 10-10-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:21 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by skrelnik
As long as you get that warranty and have a good mechanic then you will be golden. The car definitely has it's share of hiccups, but is a treat to drive. See below link and the pdf within it.

If you open an account at PenFed credit union, they can finance the car and also include a RT 66 Warranty, which you can also finance into the loan. RT 66 is great coverage, lots of positive BMW experiences have been reported on the forums. I have this warranty and it had been hassle-free with no questions asked.

So You Just Bought an E60 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
Thanks for the tips. Opened a PenFed account today. I may need to get the Route 66 warranty. I am also looking at Fidelity and Esaycare. See which one is cheaper and hustle free warranty. I need a warranty that offers 5y/100K so I can have a piece of mind for the next 5 years. Looks like I can get that from Route 66 for $3K.

I am going to check out that informative pdf. It looks like it has a good info for newbie like myself.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:57 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i xdrive
Model Year: 2010

The main difference between the 528 and 535 are the twin turbos in the 535. Yes, you feel the power difference. So you could say you are swapping more power for less maintenance...somewhat...

Originally Posted by dvdit
I checked out a 2009 528i today. 56k miles, very good condition. One owner. Something peculiar I have found though is that the vehicle had a maintenance inspection completed at BMW dealership 08/25/2016 and engine/powertrain computer/module check was performed on the same date, mileage then was 56,455. Another engine/powertrain computer/module check was performed three weeks later on 09/14/2016 mileage then was 56,895 and the vehicle was sold at an auction by the BMW dealer right after that. Why the need to do a engine/powertrain computer/module check twice in a short span? Is this a routine check?

This car was sold at an auction by the BMW dealer who has serviced this car on more than a few occasion. Any reason why they wouldn't sell it as used themselves rather than auctioning it? Is this a red flag? If I contact the dealer, are they legally obligated to disclose the issue with the car, in any ?

Since I am getting an extended warranty should I not be so concerned with issues like this? Please help!!