5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Buying a 2010 E60: Is an engine replacement a plus or a minus? (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/buying-2010-e60-engine-replacement-plus-minus-148585/)

doorman 06-08-2018 10:59 AM

Buying a 2010 E60: Is an engine replacement a plus or a minus?

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but a long time fan of these cars. I bought my mother a 2006 E60, my dad a 2001 E39, and up until it was hit while parked last week, I had a E90 (monaco blue / saddle - I miss that car already).

Looking at getting a 2010 E60 (post the '08 interior changes) and spotted this one nearby: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2884/overview/

It had a new engine put in (at a dealer) at around 75K miles.

Is that a positive thing, since the engine is quite new, or is that a negative thing, because whatever issues led to the replacement might exist outside the engine itself and so still a potential risk?

Appreciate any points of view.

Thanks!

KyleB 06-08-2018 01:11 PM

Dealer installed new engine? As long as youre not paying a premium for that fact then I would say that's pretty awesome.

doorman 06-08-2018 01:57 PM

Yessir, I'll confirm but seller says it was done at the nearby BMW dealership. Seems odd that the car would need a new engine at 75k but I suppose some come off the line with imperfections, however rare.

JayArras 06-08-2018 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by doorman (Post 1595522)
Seems odd that the car would need a new engine at 75k but I suppose some come off the line with imperfections, however rare.

...or the previous owner beat the sh** out of it. :whistle:

doorman 06-09-2018 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by JayArras (Post 1595528)
...or the previous owner beat the sh** out of it. :whistle:

Ha, possibly. The current owner says: "I bought the car preowned from Herb Chambers Sudbury, with a 10 year 100K warranty. When around 75K, there was a coolant leak and they said the coolant pipe where the leak happened was close to the Engine and that they will replace with a new engine. I said Ok. I do have the documentation for that."

Does that make any sense? Replace the whole engine because of a coolant pipe?

I suppose one concern is that it was treated pretty brutally and the transmission took a beating.

Adrianoyukami 06-10-2018 05:47 PM

Greetings, well we have a 740i E38 and the engine was replaced with 60k miles because the previous owner tried to go through a minor flood, water came in to the air box and voi-la, engine blow-up. Now with the new engine installed by bmw, no problems so far!
So i think its a plus, its like a new heart.

And at least here in Brazil, a lot of 4.4 Twin Turbos and N55 blow up with less than 30k miles because of heating problems, coolant problems, major problem is due to our terrible gasoline quality and high temps.

(sorry for the terrible english)

doorman 06-10-2018 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Adrianoyukami (Post 1595539)
Greetings, well we have a 740i E38 and the engine was replaced with 60k miles because the previous owner tried to go through a minor flood, water came in to the air box and voi-la, engine blow-up. Now with the new engine installed by bmw, no problems so far!
So i think its a plus, its like a new heart.

And at least here in Brazil, a lot of 4.4 Twin Turbos and N55 blow up with less than 30k miles because of heating problems, coolant problems, major problem is due to our terrible gasoline quality and high temps.

(sorry for the terrible english)

No apologies needed! That's very helpful to know. Obrigado!

jgt 06-11-2018 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by doorman (Post 1595531)
Ha, possibly. The current owner says: "I bought the car preowned from Herb Chambers Sudbury, with a 10 year 100K warranty. When around 75K, there was a coolant leak and they said the coolant pipe where the leak happened was close to the Engine and that they will replace with a new engine. I said Ok. I do have the documentation for that."

Does that make any sense? Replace the whole engine because of a coolant pipe?

I suppose one concern is that it was treated pretty brutally and the transmission took a beating.

Coolant pipe on an N52 motor?
I know the V8's valley coolant pipes tend to leak and are a pain in the ass to replace, but I haven't heard of the inline 6's having issues like this.
Can you please post the "documentation" or elaborate what exactly needed replacing?