E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

buying 2007 530xi with 100k what to inspect please

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:26 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello all, i am very close to buying this 07 530xi with 100k miles. what should i inspect? are there known issues to lookout for? and what would one suggest doing after i buy it? thanks for your time.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:26 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by rolligstones
hello all, i am very close to buying this 07 530xi with 100k miles. what should i inspect? are there known issues to lookout for? and what would one suggest doing after i buy it? thanks for your time.
i have the car fax but its not specific on what was exactly done. it states. maintenance inspection completed @30k steering/suspension checked oil change@35k
brake fluid flushed knock sensor replaced @43k. vehicle serviced @49k. oil @54k. maintenance inspection completed @58k. maintenance inspection completed, and oil @69k.
lease up new owner @75k. then maintenance inspection completed, electrical system checked oil @69k. maintenance inspection completed brake fluid changed, oil, recommended maintenance performed. engine/powertrain, computer/module checked.@86k. maintenance inspection completed, engine/powertrain, computer/module checked, axles checked @91k. vehicle serviced @92k. any thoughts thanks.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

The biggest issue you have is that the car has 100K on it. I don't know how much you are paying but sometimes it is worth spending a little extra cash and buying a lower millage car! Remember BMW is not a Lexus,lol.
Good luck with you descision...
Old 10-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by syrousd
The biggest issue you have is that the car has 100K on it. I don't know how much you are paying but sometimes it is worth spending a little extra cash and buying a lower millage car! Remember BMW is not a Lexus,lol.
Good luck with you descision...
+1. Personally, I wouldn't by ANY car with more than 70K no matter how reliable the car\brand may be.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:43 PM
New Members

thanks, im taking it to a bmw dealer to check it out first.. 100$ min. if they find something i can go further at 150 hr. i will see..
Old 10-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

thanks, im taking it to a bmw dealer to check it out first.. 100$ min. if they find something i can go further at 150 hr. i will see..
So you're having a 150 pt inspection done? Are you buying from them? Think about that for a moment.
And personally those that have not owned BMW's in the past or have not had one past 100K cannot give you accurate input. My 04 530 now has 120228mi and only minor things have needed replaced. Had a 740 in the family with close to 320K on it and an E39 with 239K on it. The only think I cannot vouche for is the engine your car has as they've switched from the M54. But i wouldn't worry especially if you're handy and if you're going to get an extended warranty. But I'd read it over first.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:02 AM
New Members

hi, no im not buying from them they are a bmw dealer nearby. i called and said i wanted to buy this used car can you look it over. 150 pt. inspection was not mentioned. i just sold my 02 325 with 150k. i did fun work on that ..vanos seals,plugs,fuel pump,some gaskets etc.. car ran absolutely great.so i guess your right if it breaks fix it.and the car keeps going.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Members

Kinda bugs me when people tell you not to buy a car w/over "x miles". Cars are getting better and better now. And w/the internet, BMW parts are cheaper than ever before.

All my BMWs, w/the exception of my M3 were purchased w/over 100k. All of them ran great w/little maintenance. I, personally only buy the I6 w/manual and have had good luck w/the cars.

If you are getting a good deal, I don't see a problem w/buying a car over 100k.

I will say regarding the N52 engine, I believe they had some kinda of head design that was problematic? Not sure what year it was corrected. There was a thread on the forum recently.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:15 AM
Contributors

I'd pay very close attention to - not in any particular order:

Cooling system (radiator, hoses, water pump)
Electrical (Battery, alternator, IBS)
Electronics (computers located in vulnerable places (spare tire well - area is known to leak and consequently fry electronics)
Electronics: All controls, key fobs, instruments in working order
Transmission (ESPECIALLY this - BMW automatics fail or leak at any time but at the 70K - 100K point you're on the edge)
Brake and rotors (Determine when the last R&R was done by BMW/Indy and have them measure remaining pad thickness)
The car should pass ALL required State Inspections or the repairs should be done at the seller's expense.

Look for repairs and replacements done in and out of warranty. Obtain a copy of the complete service and repair records (including any accident damage that is documented). At the very least you should get a 30 day warranty. IMHO purchasing an after-market warranty is not a good "investment" for this particular purchase. The dealer should fix everything that is marginal or faulty before you drive off the lot.

Good luck with your final decision - treated carefully BMWs can last a long time and not leave you too poor. But cars are more complicated than every before ... and when something fails it can be expensive and difficult (therefore expensive) to diagnose and repair.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by djlarroc
Kinda bugs me when people tell you not to buy a car w/over "x miles". Cars are getting better and better now. And w/the internet, BMW parts are cheaper than ever before.

All my BMWs, w/the exception of my M3 were purchased w/over 100k. All of them ran great w/little maintenance. I, personally only buy the I6 w/manual and have had good luck w/the cars.

If you are getting a good deal, I don't see a problem w/buying a car over 100k.

I will say regarding the N52 engine, I believe they had some kinda of head design that was problematic? Not sure what year it was corrected. There was a thread on the forum recently.
It is simple math the higher the millage the higher the risk of car turning into a money pit! You buying a car with 100K you are rolling the dice. Yes, you might get lucky and perhaps you have a keen eye to pick a cherry but unfortunately not everyone is like that so in that retrospect why buying yourself a headache and plus there are plenty of good low millage inventory these days!

As far as BMW inspection goes, they will gladly charge the money and do A so called inspection but remember if anything goes wrong with the car they assume 0 responsibility so I stand firm on what I said and let me simplify it;

- if you know BMW's and particularly E60 well then a high millage car makes sense.
- if you don't stay away from high millage BMW's as a general rule of thumb.

Quick Reply: buying 2007 530xi with 100k what to inspect please