E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Buy Extended Warranty or Not? Low Miles...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the topic of the extended warranty has been discussed at length here.

I have a slightly more specific question for drivers of low mileage E60s who have decided for/against buying the extended warranty at the end of 4 years. My 07 530i has only 33K miles on it and its warranty is up in August. I've had a few issues here and there but the car has generally been solid from a defect point of view. I'm wondering if it's worth it to pay another ($3 - $3.5K?) for the extended warranty to give it two more years of coverage.

Anyone have a similar situation? Curious to hear your thoughts...
Old 06-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

if the car hasn't given you any serious problem and the extended warranty will cost # 3K+ for just 2 more years of coverage, I don't think it's worth it or you can search for an aftermarket warranty company that would cost much less than $ 3K and will give you longer coverage.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545i loaded!

Take the 3k and put it in a savings account and only use it big stuff. I probably could replace a engine for less than 3k (used engine of course).
Old 06-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Defy
Take the 3k and put it in a savings account and only use it big stuff. I probably could replace a engine for less than 3k (used engine of course).

+1 My thought exactly.

I have an 04 with only 32k. The car has been solid, so I decided against getting the extra warranty. Instead, I'd find a good indy tech who can be there when the time comes. GL with your decision.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Defy

this right here
Old 06-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

Warranties are a rip pff. I agree with the folks above.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Members

Thanks guys.

I'm surprised - I thought most would advocate to get the warranty, which is basically just another form of insurance. I know repair costs are incredibly high for these cars, but $3K is a lot, I guess.

/C
Old 06-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by chris.y
Thanks guys.

I'm surprised - I thought most would advocate to get the warranty, which is basically just another form of insurance. I know repair costs are incredibly high for these cars, but $3K is a lot, I guess.

/C
I was in the same situation in April of this year. 2007, 39K miles, going off warranty. Decided to let it expire. I have had a few issues, all addressed before the warranty ran out, including new cylinder head, passenger side mirror, CCC unit, turn stalk, and ignition switch replaced. Other than that, car has been fine. I am going to step up and pay to have the "lifetime" transmission fluid and differential fluid changed for added insurance as those are the items I am scared of breaking as I plan on keeping the car for awhile. I already change the engine oil every 7500 miles whether it needs it or not. The price of the extended warranty was just too much for me to justify since I think I have had all of the major issues addressed.

tbm
07 530
96 Z3 1.9
Old 06-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

Originally Posted by JBU2010
Warranties are a rip pff. I agree with the folks above.

I disagree. My warranty has already paid out <$5000(I paid $2400 for it). I wouldn't recommend it on a toyota or honda but I definitely would recommend it for a BMW or Mercedes. I've had them both and had to use the extended warranty on both. If you can't get a third party warranty for <$3500 than I would put the money in a rainy day fund, but if you can find an exclusionary 100,000 miles policy like mine($2400), get one!
My $.02,
will
Old 06-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tbmoeller
I was in the same situation in April of this year. 2007, 39K miles, going off warranty. Decided to let it expire. I have had a few issues, all addressed before the warranty ran out, including new cylinder head, passenger side mirror, CCC unit, turn stalk, and ignition switch replaced. Other than that, car has been fine. I am going to step up and pay to have the "lifetime" transmission fluid and differential fluid changed for added insurance as those are the items I am scared of breaking as I plan on keeping the car for awhile. I already change the engine oil every 7500 miles whether it needs it or not. The price of the extended warranty was just too much for me to justify since I think I have had all of the major issues addressed.

tbm
07 530
96 Z3 1.9
Sorry don't mean to hijack the post....

but wondering, how much is the lifetime transmission fluid and differential fluid change? and is it available with all BMW dealer?

Quick Reply: Buy Extended Warranty or Not? Low Miles...