E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Which to buy.. 530i or 530Xi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Pending..

Hello all, this shall be my first post here ever.. and I am in a tough spot.. I have to choose between 2 wonderful cars.. the 530i and the 530Xi. The problem is the 530i Sport Package has all the right things and the 530Xi is missing some... for example the 18" wheels and the lowered sport springs suspension. Oh and the nice small pillows at the headrest..the Xi does NOT have those
Can any of these things the Xi is missing be swapped onto it later? I understand the Xi takes a different offset wheel? Why is that?
I really want to get the Xi since the one I am looking at is the color I want and has low miles (30k on a 2007) but those options that are missing are pulling me back.
Here in the Northwest we don't get a lot of snow but it's nice to have the AWD for when we do (since we have lots of hills around) and plus since it rains so much AWD is a benefit yet again BUT for the rest of the year it would be extra money spent on gas and my car would be a little slower...

What to do?
Old 12-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

If you don't get a lot of snow and the 530i has the options you want then get that one. If you think you need AWD then get the Xi and bypass the options (or keep looking for an Xi that DOES have the options you want). Remember the 530i is RWD but DOES have traction control.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Contributors

Sounds like you'll be happier with the 530 RWD. Properly equipped for winter driving - including driver competence - it'll get you around. The xi is a great car; I like mine. But is is taller and heavier and the AWD makes it seem inherently less spunky.

You'll have fewer options for fitting Original or aftermarket wheels on the xi but they are available. As for the sport interior, that would be an expensive modification to make.

Aside from RWD or AWD - also consider overall condition and check repair, service and warranty records - a pretty car is not as meaningful as one that is mechanically fit!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I love my XI, but then again, I live in the Northeast part of the country and it really makes a difference in snow. Even in dry weather, the XI seems more firmly planted, but I would probably get the RWD if I didn't live in snow country. If you really want the XI, you should take PJ's advice and wait until you find one with the options you want. You'll be kicking yourself later, if you don't get the options. Patience is a virtue, especially when it comes to your dream car.

BTW, to the forum.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1081952' date='Dec 30 2009, 02:33 PM
I love my XI, but then again, I live in the Northeast part of the country and it really makes a difference in snow. Even in dry weather, the XI seems more firmly planted, but I would probably get the RWD if I didn't live in snow country. If you really want the XI, you should take PJ's advice and wait until you find one with the options you want. You'll be kicking yourself later, if you don't get the options. Patience is a virtue, especially when it comes to your dream car.

BTW, to the forum.

+1 Exactly, I saw a few dozen 530's before I bought mine. I didn't buy until I found one with the options and mileage I wanted - which took a few months.

The only thing you'l regret is if you settle for less than what you really want. Good luck
Old 12-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Yep, don't even think about buying a car that is anything less. I've got a pretty well-equipped 530Xi (Nav, sport, prem, cold wthr, PDC, 18s and so forth) and still there were a couple of things that I had to compromise on (like no iPod adapter, for instance). So find the car you want, this is not like getting a Toyota/Lexus where the driving experience is never going to make you fall deeply in love with the car. With the E60, you'll be addicted. But when it will become evident how much nicer equipped other cars are, you'll be full of sorrow, guaranteed. So again, buy the one.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Members

My Ride: Pending..

thanks guys, yes I will definitely wait for the right one, I've looked at a few already and compared price, options, mileage etc
Both cars I am looking at have exact same options (Xenons, GPS, Parking Distance sensors..), I mean the whole nine yards. The thing I don't like about the Xi is the fact that it comes with smaller wheels (Don't really plan on upgrading very soon) and it has different headrests (My neck and my back LOVE the pillow headrests in the 530i) so it is most likely that I will end up with a 530i.
Now I just have to find the color I want.. Most likely a gray one would make me happy

I forgot to ask Mr Russian if his 18"s came stock? I thought you cannot run staggered on awd (even though some Audi folks do).
Old 12-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Members

Okay I don't know if I'm tripping out or what. I have a 530xi and I have the pillow headrests that you're talking about.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 50LID' post='1082108' date='Dec 31 2009, 12:48 AM
Okay I don't know if I'm tripping out or what. I have a 530xi and I have the pillow headrests that you're talking about.
He is talking about the comfort seat headrests, which have a small adjustable "pillow" on the top.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NYC530XI' post='1082114' date='Dec 30 2009, 09:53 PM
He is talking about the comfort seat headrests, which have a small adjustable "pillow" on the top.

I thought you could get the Xi with basically all the same options as a regular 530i, not true? I figured the only thing was you couldn't get staggered rims stock, other than that they both come with the same options.

Quick Reply: Which to buy.. 530i or 530Xi?